1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rethinking my setup - suggestions please

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassyBill, Apr 20, 2010.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Okay, here's what I have. Or will have - the M82 is likely to be the next addition. The rest I currently own, but they're not all in regular use. In fact, I've sort of cut right back on using effects in recent times, but I'm getting the urge to start getting some fun out of this lot again.

[​IMG]

(Should be a little more interesting to look at a pic than a list. ;))

So...

1) What do you think of my current selection? Anything I really have to have in addition?
    2) Best order for signal chain? One loop, or more? How best to patch this lot up?
    3) How about options for power / pedalboard / organisation and so on?

By the way, I use the BSW almost exclusively as an octave pedal (and a damn good job it does, too), hence my GAS for a good envelope filter as a separate unit.

2. whammy and a good fuzz box

3. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    "whammy"? you mean a wah pedal? Forgive my ignorance, I'm old - a whammy to me is a tremolo bridge, as in "It was a Stratocaster with a whammy bar".

Fuzz - don't really need it, gentle OD is enough distortion for me.

4. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
  5. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    The only thing missing that seems to be on everyone else's boards is a POG of some kind. ;)

Is there some reason you put those pedals in the positions they are in relative to each other?

What amp will all this be feeding? Does it have an effects loop?

6. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    warwick - Ah, gotcha. I can live without one of those (whammy). NS-2 essential for me (works as a mute, and I hate hearing any hiss between songs).

Jack - yeah, the order sort of starts bottom right (tone shapers), goes to the middle row, maybe as a separate loop (effects), and leaves the looper to process the whole nasty mess afterwards, with the DI on the end. But that is by no means cast in stone and that's why I'm looking for ideas from folks who have far more experience than me in tinkering around with this sort of stuff.

My usual rig is a Markbass 102p combo with the 115 extension cab.

7. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Get a TU-2 or tuner that has a mute function instead.

Also,...why the VT Bass,...and the BDDI Programmable?

8. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Tuning already catered for elsewhere.

I bought the BDDI as it was just what I was after at the time (when it first came out). Added the VT much later for tone reasons, and it does do different sounds to the BDDI. But the BDDI is still a useful gadget, too - 3 presets, DI out (not on the VT :spit:). I'd love to get them both in one box - but at present, I have the two.

9. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    I say ditch the NS-2 because I don't really see enough gain (cause for feedback) in you signal chain to warrant it. If your are having hiss issues they should be dealt with properly IE,...Isolated outputs on your power supply and quality cables. Noise Suppressors are really just bandaids. With a TU-2 you have the functionality of a tuner and the mute option.

Check this out.

[​IMG]

EDIT: I see you already discovered it ;)

10. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Noise - my experience is that if you have enough boxes, you'll get noise. No way around that, really. It's down to different tolerance levels I suppose. The NS-2 is just there to gate stuff when I'm quiet. Noise isn't a problem when I'm playing, though. I just like total silence when I stop.

As far as the VT Deluxe goes - I'm really annoyed that this has come out; I want one and getting it would render my PBDDI and VT worthless!

11. How about a wah pedal? I don't use mine much, but it is whole lot of fun. Also, a phaser is good fun too.

12. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Fair enough :)

Yeah. Unfortunately the PBDDI predates the VT. I had a PBDDI for a while but when I got a proper preamp to drive my Poweramp the PBDDI became a little overkill.

The PVTDI is a natural progression of the VTbass but tech21 should have done their market research a little better and originally released this guy, but hindsight is 20/20.

13. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    ^^^ Spot on, in all respects. Oh well...

14. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Going back to the original gist of your thread. What sort of music are you playing. I lurked your profile but I'm too lazy to search the bands listed in your "Gigs, Ensembles,...." section.

15. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Anyway, to be a little more honest about how clueless I am - if I gave you all these suckers in a box, what board would you stick them on, how would you power them and how would you connect the whole lot up?

warwick - musicwise, I play all sorts (I have a really weird gig coming up - solo bass, which I've never done before). But this setup would be for my main 2 bands where it's funk/disco/soul/dancy retro pop. 70s/80s covers.

16. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Play your cards right and you could probably get them all on a Pedaltrain 2. I don't know what's available for Europe but I'd look into a Power Supply with Isolated outputs (pricey). You could get a cheaper daisy chain which will work fine in a pinch but (if you are like me) eventually you'll want an upgrade.

I like George L's solderless patch cables since I'm not good at soldering and don't have the space to teach myself. There are others to choose from including Lava Cables. If you are handy with a soldering iron than solder your lengths. I prefer custom sizing cables because you aren't limited to where you position your pedals by the signal chain.

I can't think of anything to add to your arsenal. When I hear 70s/80s covers I think keyboard/synth sounds and while it may not be the best at it the BSW will get you close. I myself much prefer an Octave/Fuzz/Filter approach for those synthy keyboard sounds but that's just a personal preference.

Edit: RE: Solo Bass Gig,..the RC-2 will come in handy for that.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i'd spray paint a piece of scrap plywood black, stick some velcro on it, buy a couple 1-spots, and be done with it. oh yeah, forgot...that's what i did ;)

only thing i'd add is some sort of octaver. and i used to use a noise suppressor and loved it, so if you like it, keep it.

oh, and i'd add a vt deluxe ;)

18. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Thanks, guys. Big +1 on George L cables.

What are 1-spots?

BSW does the octave thing perfectly.

You can stick your flippin' vt deluxe... :D

19. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    [​IMG]

1) What do you think of my current selection? Anything I really have to have in addition?
    2) Best order for signal chain? One loop, or more? How best to patch this lot up?
    3) How about options for power / pedalboard / organisation and so on?

Here's what I'd do to start with what you have.

Bass>

Bass Synth Wah>
    (EQ>)
    Bass Envelope Filter>
    Multicomp>
    VT Bass>
    Bass Chorus>
    (Phaser>)
    (Delay>)
    (Volume>)
    LoopStation>
    Programmable BDDI>

<Amp
    <FOH

But if you're getting loops then it all depends on whether or not you bank effects together...

Like your BSW and Envelope Filter for example...

That's a great pedalboard. If you can swing it, I'd say get a good power supply with isolated outs and make a GORM pedalboard (or other DIY creation) if you're into that.

I like phasers, Delay, and EQ on boards but I can't live vicariously through your pedalboard.

Custom cables and layout remain to taste.

Hope I thought of something you didn't.

20. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.