Rethinking rig- What cab(s) do I want?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by L-1329, Feb 24, 2010.

1. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    Need some help! I want to change up my cab situation and need some input, since it's been a long time since I've shopped for cabs and a lot has changed. Right now I have a GBE750, which I love, running into an SWR 12-pack, or 12-stack, or both. I couldn't be happier with the tone. I play in cover bands and could play anything from new country to heavy rock, but this rig just works in everything I've used it with.

Anyway, I need to lighten up the load and would like to have no cabs over 50-60lbs max, and I'd ideally like to use one tilted back like a personal bass monitor, and the other aimed at the band for stage sound. I can't lift the 412 very well anymore due to my back. So, is there anything out there that would give a similar tone, be relatively lightweight, and under about $800, preferably less? Any idea's are certainly welcome!

:cool:

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nothing but a custom cab will come close to replicating that tone.

I'd recommend you have Don from LDS buy you a couple of empty 1x12s tuned for that driver with his ultralight poplar plywood. Should be able to get <30lbs per box if not lighter, depending on the driver weight. Tilt back legs on one or more.

Also, if you can find the TS specs, don may be able to match that driver in a Neo 10 or 12 :)

3. gallien krueger has a tiltback 210 and a regular 212 in their neo series.might be a cool setup?

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Will absolutely not sound like the 12stack/12pack. Not even close.

5. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    Well, in reality this rig would be for stage sound only really, so sounding exactly like the SWR's is not an absolute requirement, more like a really nice bonus. I really just want to find a couple of light weight cabs that work for my own monitoring, and for the rest of the band as well. I didn't think of going custom, that might be worth thinking about. I was thinking about the Eden floor wedge 210, but it seems to not really handle much power if the spec sheet can be believed. Thanks for the suggestions...

6. TIMD

TIMD

Dec 8, 2009
    Houston
    Have you tried Genz Benz? I use a Genz Benz neo 212 when I don't want to carry my full stack and am verry happy with it. It responds verry well to EQ so you can dial in what ever your looking for and it sounds huge. It is also lighter than what is listed, I think they show it at about 60 lbs when it is closer to 50 lbs.

7. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I agree with rpsands. LDS stuff seems to offer the most bang for the buck these days and the fact that he designs what YOU want puts him over the top.

8. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Inactive

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Look at this, yet ANOTHER player who looks like they would benefit from an ultra-light 212 combo.

I'll say this for the ten thousandth time: whoever gets a vertically arrayed, 212, ultra-light, combo to market first, at a reasonable price point (<$1200 list), wins the bass gear race.

A show of hands: Who thinks they would get some use out of a 2x12 the size of 2 Avatar cubes stacked, with lets say a Shuttle 900 built in?

Even with all the hardware trimmings, you could get this cab in at under 60lbs with today's tech, and still make it sound goooooood.

Yet, here we all are, still trying to put them together from parts and custom builders.

Maybe that's why they won't make it, there wouldn't be any more GAS from the club players, which is their bread and buttah. :bag:

9. Not quite vertically alligned, but the new GK combo is under 40 pounds at 500 watts.

10. devilock76

devilock76

May 25, 2009
    Genz Benz already makes one for the shuttle series:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/GenzBenz-NEOX212T-600W-2x12-Bass-Cabinet?sku=601470

Ken

11. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Inactive

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Close, but not quite. The extra width breaks the small foot print criteria, also a bit heavier than it needs to be, and it's not a combo. They do sound killer though, Jeff really knows what he's doing! I even got to tell him personally at the NAMM show, wicked nice guy.

12. I'm tellin' ya... a pair of those at 8 ohms each, under a Shuttle 9.0, and I'm set for life. But since GB doesn't make 'em, maybe I owe Don a call... a vertical 212 with an airhead for the Shuttle, with the option of adding a second as needed. Yum...

Everyone talks about 4-ohm cabs, but with watts so cheap, and compact heads like the Shuttles bottoming at 4 ohms, 8 ohm cabs just makes a lot more sense to me.

Sorry for the hijack,

-jb

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    absolutely. it makes zero sense to get a 1000w power amp and try to find a tiny cab that can handle it. but manufacturers have said the 8 ohm versions of many of their cabs don't sell because that's exactly what most bassists want to do with them. then they decide the sound is too small and they want to buy an extension cab and can't. or they blow them up trying to get them to sound big.

i imagine a small but significant part of mi sales is totally based on keeping those people in the dark. that's why i really respect the manufacturers who come on here and shoot straight and help us sort out the wheat from the crap.

14. Evolver

Evolver

Feb 13, 2007
    North Central PA
    Well, I have not used the SRW's and so can't compare their tone to other cabs, but I do very much like the GBE750. I use two GB NEOX212's or just one on smaller gigs. I can fit one NEOX212 in the trunk of my Civic :D and find these cabs fairly easy to move/transport (I'm over 50 but still fairly fit...). I like 'em both in gig or rehearsal situations and you should be able to meet your cost goal. Just IME/IMO...

15. 4lPh4n0m3g4

4lPh4n0m3g4

Nov 19, 2004

My first choice would be to try Acme's

http://www.acmebass.com/

Avatar might be a good choice for you as well; (especially if price is a major factor. Not that I think the Acme's are expensive.)

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

Or even some used Bag End cabs may fit the bill; they are relatively common on the market.

I have 2 B.E. 15's that are fairly light/portable and sound great; even still, I'm looking to downsize my rig as well. But finding easily portable enclosures that can reproduce the sub/sine freq.'s I require and fit the price range I have to work with is a real challenge.

Good luck.

16. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you're just using it to hear yourself on stage and not real tone-picky, I'd go with a tiltback Kappalite 3015 from LDS. Light, small, crazy loud despite 8 ohms.

You can do a pair of 3012HOs in small boxes too, and get quite a lot of volume, but I see no reason to shlep multiple cabs when one will do the job.

Most companies cannot touch Don's lightweight poplar combined with Kappalite series drivers. That's why I'd go LDS. No question.

Schroeder and GK are the only companies that can compare in the weight department and neither of them offer Kappalites :)

17. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    Thanks for the idea's. Of course, thinking about lighter cabs has gotten me to thinking about a lighter weight head. Just as a first take, a Shuttlemax 12 would save 26 lbs in my rack alone, and possibly have the same tone pending a good test drive. How come you can't think of just swapping one piece of gear, without ending up thinking about swapping the entire rig?;) I think I need to call LDS when I can come to a solid description of what I'm trying to do. Short of something custom, I think a Neox212 might be a good cab, though it's the same weight as my current SWR 212...

18. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    I use the Neox 212 with a 500w micro head. Total weight with head is under 60lbs & its a one trip load in/out. Head in gig bag w/bass over the shoulders, cab has its own built in dolly. Light & loud plus great tone, what more could you ask for?

just my 2 cents...

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021