Retirement Party Gig Report 5-28-21

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by 2saddleslab, May 29, 2021.

1. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Billed as my retirement party, as I did indeed retire as of noon yesterday, and my BL is always looking for a marketing angle.:cool:
    193156693_10220105235488214_8296930620823075372_n.jpg

Little rig fits easily in the trunk.
    IMG_3378.JPG

Originally set as an outdoor gig, the all day, on & off rain moved everything indoors and scaled down.:meh: The holiday traffic was heavy on the interstates but opened up quickly.
    IMG_3379.JPG

Off the highway and into the little river town of New Richmond.
    IMG_3381.JPG
    IMG_3385.JPG

The setup. As well as the typical crammed in a corner, but we made it work.
    IMG_3386.JPG

The turnout started great but 3 large tables didn't show. The owners called them and they said they thought it was cancelled due to the rain.:banghead:

Anyhoo, an old pal drummer [and his lovely wife] were there so "Ringo" sat in on a couple of tunes.
    Ringo Joins In.png

Due to the less than stellar turnout we felt guilty about ordering food [although they would have been happy to oblige], so went home hungry.

Hungry to be back playing gigs, seeing everything beginning to open back up, and having music as my main focus from here on out. On to the next gig!

Front Street.jpg

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Happy retirement!

nixdad, 2saddleslab and JRA like this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

those rain/weather pics look kind of ominous, but i'm sure the playdown was together in every way. those are great pics of you "throughout the ages" and the poster is a nice touch. enjoy your new freedoms --- i hope to catch you/band soon --- congratulations on your retirement! :thumbsup:

Ronzo, nixdad and 2saddleslab like this.
  4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi @2saddleslab,

Congratulations! I wish you all the best in your retirement and your newfound freedom to gig more.

Even with the weather your commute looked beautiful and that sunset picture of charming downtown New Richmond is stunning.

I like the way you guys travel light and have a relatively small stage footprint. I hope you can use that to your advantage as the world slowly gets back to normal. (I sure will be glad when that's no longer the thought, "back to normal", and the world is just as it should be.)

Your little Ampeg rig is killer as is your vintage P-bass. Do you use that Bose array for your PA? Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

nixdad and timplog like this.
  5. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the kind words, gents!:thumbsup:

Cliff, yes the Bose is the PA w/ guitar & vocals only. It works amazingly well on gigs like this [and larger], surrounds you with sound, and no need for pesky monitors.

The only time I go thru any PA is at the larger outdoor festivals w/ provided sound support.

nixdad, Sore Thumb and BassCliff like this.
  6. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Congrats on the retirement! Sorry about the light turnout, but HEY! Next time you'll be ready for mobs and mobs of folks!:thumbsup: Gorgeous photo there at the end, by the way!

7. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ronzo and 2saddleslab like this.
  8. Dan, thanks for the pics and gig reports (this one and Summerfair). I'm on the east side of Cincy, so maybe I can catch you guys playing out sometime. Happy Retirement!

2saddleslab likes this.
  9. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Thanks, much appreciated.:thumbsup:

10. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Be kind. Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax, Florida
    Thanks for sharing! Happy retirement!

2saddleslab likes this.
  11. Congrats on your retirement, would have been nice had the weather cooperated.

Nice that the Bose works for you. I've never had a chance to play with one of those. For a while I was in a classic rock band/4 members and each of us bought the Fender Expo system, their version of the array. with two behind us and two to the front I was always amazed at the sound, and how we could have them behind us blasting away toward our mics with no feedback. But they proved a little unreliable over time and were expensive to fix.

Hope you future gigs look up, enjoy the work-free life!

2saddleslab likes this.
  12. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

Congrats on your retirement. Enjoy!!!

2saddleslab likes this.
  13. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    When I retired my office bought me a 1967 Gibson Eb2... the rest is history.. Enjoy your retirement.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021