Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Retiring my old Trace/Eden rig. What's a good replacement?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jarrett, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett

Jan 19, 2004
    Waxahachie, Tx
    I'm fairly new to the forum and would like to get some recommendations if y'all are willing to offer some. I have a early 90's Trace Elliot AHSMX350 head and rear ported Eden 4x10.

I dig the sound of this setup, but its slowly falling apart on me and I need to start thinking about a replacement. Are there any amps these days that have this kind of tone that are worth looking into? Some with 10's and around 350 watts? Combos? Thanks.

2. jazbass9

jazbass9

Jan 18, 2005
    I've still got my trusty Trace rig, but have supplemented it with a few other brands as well.

The Ashdown gear is as close to Trace as you'll come,mainly because they were designed by the original engineer for Trace-Elliot. Ashdown's cabs are just as good, if not better than Eden's (please no flaming from Eden users ;) ).

3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
  4. Jarrett

Jarrett

Jan 19, 2004
    Waxahachie, Tx
    Thanks. I went to hear some Ashdown stuff today, but they had just sold the last 4x10 combo. Apparently they sell for like $600 or something? I ended up buying an Ampeg PCB2210 which sounded ok. Historically, I'm not a fan of the Ampeg sound, but this one was ok. I liked it better than the Eden CXC210 combo or something like that.

I'm going to go A/B it on gig tomorrow to see if its a keeper or not. At 53lbs with a rollers and a handle, it's definitely nice in the portability department. Maybe a couple of these would be a nice replacement for the Trace/Eden rig.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Gallien Krueger. Little different flavor. Wonderful stuff.

6. yea dude gallien-krueger 1001RB II

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I guess its just me but I could never get an Ampeg to replace my Trace rig.

Well, maybe a SVT-CL ;)

8. Jarrett

Jarrett

Jan 19, 2004
    Waxahachie, Tx
    Man the new rig shined on gig today. Everyone was pretty much unanimous that they felt it sounded better than my old stuff, including me. Even the soundman commented with his usual term of endearment, "You need to turn down..." While everyone in the band is shaking their heads behind him saying no :)

The tone was really clear and punchy. I did a tapped harmonic chordal intro thing and the notes were just flying off the fretboard with this new bass. And I didn't even have to get over halfway on the Ampeg's volume and had enough to fill out the bottom. I was worried that this little 2x10 combo wouldn't be loud enough, but more importantly not full enough sounding to cover the gig. I was wrong. It sounded just as full as my Trace/Eden rig and just as loud. I usually set my 350 watt/4x10 Trace/Eden rig on about 3 to cover this gig and had to put the Ampeg around 4-4.5 or so on the MV to match volume.

As much as I'd like to praise the tone of the Ampeg, I think the bass is most of the equation. It just sounds phenomenal for some reason. Definitely no buyer's remorse at this point.

Pics of the new rig:

http://web2.airmail.net/jhinds/photo.htm

9. If I were you I'de stick with your trace.. nothing really beats the good old trace sound. :bassist:

but who am I ?
    And what am I talking about good sound for.. I'm only 16 yrs old :D

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey jarrett,

just wanted to say, "welcome"!

11. Jarrett

Jarrett

Jan 19, 2004
    Waxahachie, Tx