1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Retrieving the tool of abuse , could you forgive this ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 4, 2007.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Could you forgive an abuser who made you retrieving the instrument of your abuse ? For example a belt, cigarette , branch from a tree or tennis racket.It could be beyound me.

2. Never been in that predicament.

But im sure there would be a p***ed off part of me which would want to take that tool and turn it on the abuser.

But again, its never happened, so i wouldnt know.

3. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    I'm not sure I get the question

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Please repeat the question - it makes no sense as stated....

5. I think what you are talking about is past the abuse stage and is more like torture.

Forgive the act, never.
    Forgive the person. Probably not either. Depends on the circumstances.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Go cut me a switch!

Uhm, why so specific, why not abuse in general. I think it is ultra ****** to have to go fetch what you are going to be hit with, but why not, "Could you/will you forgive abuse?"

If you're ever about to kill someone, make them dig their own grave before hand... most people will do it.

7. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    The topic of forgiveness is a huge one that's occupying much of the time of philosphers and religious leaders, and there are as many opinions on what deserves forgiveness as there are people discussing it. I have an opinion on it, but it's going to be different from that of most people around me because I'm not religious and I don't think much of organized philosophy either. :p

But one thing I've found is that when most people discuss "forgiveness" they're really confusing it with "closure" (or abandoning bitterness) so they can get on with their lives without having to obsess about past pain.

I'm all for that.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Well said.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Could you forgive someone who made you retrieve the object in which they abused you with.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'd never forgive someone who abused me in the first place.

11. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Depends on the abuse?

12. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    Sounds kinky!
    I'm not really into that stuff.

13. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Hmmmmmmm, I am a big believer in forgiving. Not forgeting just forgiving. It is for my own sake that I forgive, it unburdens me of thoughts of hatred and retribution. The specifics of the abuse are irrelevant to me.

14. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    id make them eat their own leg.

15. I'm not sure the act of having to go get a belt quite compares to getting hit by it. I've never had to do the former but the latter came up every once in while, and I'm sure the extra 20 steps to get something wouldn't have amounted to much. I mean, it's gonna happen, so who cares whether you get it or the Belt Fairly drops it in the old man's hand?

Mike

16. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Banned

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    The retrieving part seems almost irrelevant compared to the action of burning and beating someone. I'm assuming you're talking about a parent beating their kid, forcing a kid to get the device of their abuse is something only the most cowardly and sadistic among us would do.

I see no reason to forgive a sadistic terrorist.

17. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    +1
    The time it takes to get the belt will allow the old man's temper to cool down.

Of course, if you can't find the belt(a switch,etc.) your only option is to climb out the window and never return. Cause' you'll be in a lot of pain if you don't.:D

18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That's a tough one to answer since I've never (thankfully) been in that situation.

19. hmmm, the situation has never come up so i cant speak with an informed tongue. but it seems that it would take the jump from abuse to near torture.

20. funkydjembe

funkydjembe

Apr 5, 2007
    Norway
    Does "forgive" entail that you also forget?Got a few friends (or had? long time ago) that used to hide their hotwheel tracks from their mothers, bad idea, cause then she might say; "go get the extension cord":eek: :bawl: Seems like they still loved their mother. I wonder if they were actually hitting their sons because the father left. If a person abused you while they were in a difficult situation and not in their "right mind", but later on turned out to be a good person, then it's possible to give 'em some slack,,but forget??