Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Retro-fitting Tuning key's

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Funkster, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hi all, Here's the scoop, I have a Squier affinity Jazz bass that I been hot-rodding a bit as a good back-up/take it to the seedy kinda gigs bass.
    I have all the parts but the replacement tunning pegs I have are a stock fender and the cheezy ones on the bass have a much smaller diameter hole.
    My question is can the holes be drilled out to fit the larger Fender pegs? How can this be done?
    Thanks in advance

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I also have a Squier I've hot rodded for the same type of gigs.

If you know what size hole you need to fit the new tuners, get the appropriate size drill bit and have at it.

A drill press would work best to ensure the holes are drilled straight. Drill slowly to avoid chipping the wood around the hole.

Good luck.

3. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Thank you Mike I appreciate the reply, There's a press at work in my Maint shop and I'm goona pop the neck off it tonight and bring it in tomorrow and have at it.
    You did the same thing!, Yep I play in some real nice places and then some real seedy kinda joints with a lot of drunks (Not that there's anything wrong with that) I partake my self.
    I just don't want to bring the vintage stuff to those places anymore after my 78 J hit the floor cause someone walked by and kicked the cord.
    I walked into my local shop and played every bass on the wall from new Ibanez's to PV's to MIM Fenders to Epiphones and a MIA P, This Squier kicked all there butt's in tone, playability No dead spots, Even volume between all strings. I was blown away by this perticular one. There was a Squier P right next to it and it was junk.
    The guy who runs the place thought I was nut's cause I buy most of my vintage stuff there and he couldn't believe I was buying this. So for on sale for 169.99 I got a sweet Fender gig bag thrown in how could I pass it up! :) The thing can hold it's own..

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Like Henry, I'm not a fan of taking my 78 P out where I don't have to.

My particular Squier P was a $99 special. 21 frets, and a neck as thick as my 98 MIA P. I put a MIA pickup in it, Badass 2 bridge, gold anodized pickguard and some MIA tuners (this was all stuff I got through trades here at TB, so I have very little $ tied up into it).

Looks, sounds and plays well. Best of all, if it gets damaged or swiped it's not my prize axe.

Fwiw I also have a "beater" rig for shows like this (relic Peavey head, homemade 1x15" cab).

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have to think about doing this also,,, Great idea Mike

6. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Thanks again Mike the job came out pisser!! THe whole bass came out awesome.
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Whole pic! and partslist
    Parts used for the pimping and transformation.

1. Fender MIA Jazz bass pickups,

2. Allparts Gold 4 hole control plate, 4 Gold Tuners, Gold bridge, Gold string tree, Gold finger rest, Gold neckplate

3. Pearloid Pickgaurd

4. Custom Gold knobs with pearloid caps

5. Gold screw set

6. Gold Schaller locks

7. White early 80's Jazz pickup covers
    [​IMG]