1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Retro Rock/Metal: Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by HeavyAxe, Jul 18, 2014.

1. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Since about 1990, there has been an influx of bands (Stoner, Doom, Psych, Acid etc etc) inspired by the likes of old Sabbath, Cream,Deep Purple, Zeppelin, and other such acts. They have brought the ol' "retro" sound back, whether it be psychedelic guitar solos, fuzzy sound, jazzy drumming, shrill keyboards, or thumping bass. Just curious as to whether you guys are fans, or if you think its just some dudes rippin off the sound of the past? Personally, I'm a fan as long as the bands bring something interesting as well to the table. There are many bands that are just poor clones of the legends mentioned above. Here's a few I enjoy:

And so on...

2. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    I played with Radio Moscow a few years back. Cool guys.

I hadn't heard of Saviours before, but I'm a fan now. Thanks.

3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Hey - Every band has it's influences. There's really nothing truly new under the sun much anymore.
    If new bands sound like the classic bands of yore, I say more power to 'em!

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Good music is good music, regardless if it has been done before. I really like this "old" music because it comes from a time when songs had a melody, lyrics told a story, there was interesting chords and arrangements and people who could actually play and sing live. As opposed to a lot of later music which is mostly a beat and repetetive meh lyrics, and canned backing tracks.

Can you tell I'm not exactly of the Belieber generation? :)