1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Retro-Sonic+bass=death of low end or...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gonzo476, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    ...do this pedals work fine with a bass? I'm interested specially in the 808 overdrive.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Retro-Sonic is a brand, which doesn't tell you anything about the performance from one pedal to the next, from that brand. Some of their pedals retain the lows better than others. Most TS clones do lose some lows, but I don't know about theirs specifically. If you want a bass-specific TS clone, there are lots on the market.

3. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    I'm not looking exactly for a TS clone. I'm just browsing OD pedals that can make my sound go from QOTSA to We Are Scientists without losing any low end. I know it's hard to find something like that but...

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, not knocking the Retro-Sonic, because they make good-quality pedals, but their 808 is just a typical TS clone. Don't expect much more variety of dirt from it than you'd expect from an Ibanez TS. If you haven't already, I recommend clicking into the TB Wiki (linked at the top left of the page) and clicking through to the Effects soundclips database. There's lots of different dirt boxes to listen to, to give you a starting point for further inquiry.

Also look for various dirt shootout threads by TB mod grygrx.

5. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    I'm considering three options in my price range (150€):
    -HomeBrew Hematoma
    -Retro-Sonic Overdrive
    -Hao Rust Ride
    I've heard nice soundclips of the Hematoma but I haven't found any demos of the other pedals. Has anyone tried them?

6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Check out the Xotic Bass BB preamp. Tubescreamer style OD perfect for bass that can go from low gain grit to mega distortionation. I want one!

7. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    It's too expensive I'm afraid :meh: but thanks for the suggestion. Any more ideas?

8. The voodoo lab sparkle drive is a TS-type OD, and it has a clean knob to help you keep your lows

9. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    +1 on the Sparkle Drives. The Blend knob is a huge tool.

Even better is a Keeley modded Sparkle Drive which retains even more girth to the low end. Just 'thicker' sounding overall.

Very happy with this setup for tone shaping and versatility of sounds.

[​IMG]

10. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    The sparkle drive looks good but there are no demos :crying: Does anyone know of any demos? If not, would someone mind making one?

11. Mark Olson did a thread of soundclips for the Sparkle Drive a while back here

12. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Since were mentioning retro-sonic pedals on this thread, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried out the retro-sonic chorus pedal on bass. I'll bet it's got an awesome sound.

13. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    I think I've fallen in love :hyper:...
    Would it be possible to get a bit more of low end from the pedal with a bottom feeder like the EHX mole?

14. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    Anyone?

15. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    The Hematoma is a TS clone in theory but it has some extra flexibility with the independently switchable preamp/boost and the EQ shift (which I cannot prove alternates between symmetrical and asymmetrical clipping, but which certainly gives one the impression) that is a very practical feature for alternating between "cutting through" and "moanin' low"

the ehx mole is a bass boost, not sure what you mean by bottom feeder

if you only want to boost low end, it may be a good value option. I wouldn't expect it to work as an OD by itself - UNLES you're using it to push tubes

16. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    What I wanted to know is if the distorted signal going from the Sparkle Drive to the amp could have a bit more of low end by using a bass booster such as the EHX mole so the setup would be:
    bass--->sparkle drive--->bass booster--->amp