1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Retrofitting 78 P to Passive - Pot Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jaywa, May 8, 2010.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Within the next couple of months I hope to be retrofitting my 1978 P-Bass from an EMG P-J set back to passive electronics (original humbucker and Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder J bridge pickup). I have the original wires and pots, but the guy I plan to have do it recommends that we start with new pots.

Does anyone have recommendations on what pots I should get? Or NOT get? I plan to go volume-volume-master tone. "Authenticity" is not that big of deal for me since the vintage value of the instrument is out the window with the J pickup anyway. More interested in the best value for the money.

Thanks in advance... hopefully I have provided all the necessary background. Let me know if any other questions.

2. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Awesome resource, Craig. Thank you. Trying to figure out what difference there is (besides price) in the "Vintage" and "Standard" packages... guess I'll ask them directly.

3. archer121

archer121

Apr 12, 2009
    From what I can see, the only difference is the vintage kit uses cloth wire while the standard kit uses the more common poly wire.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    250k pots will get you straight-up "normal" tone. 500ks will make things a little louder and brighter. get linear taper volumes and audio taper tones regardless for the best control over the blending.