1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

retube late 70's Ampeg SVT - tube sets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by finjam, Sep 29, 2008.

1. finjam

finjam

Sep 18, 2008
    Looking for advice on retubing a late 70's SVT.

Purchased 2 years ago, not sure about it's history. There is at least 1 mismatched power tube and now the amp has a problem and makes bad crackling noises and one of the tubes glows really bright. Been wanting to retube and get a fresh start for awhile now.

I am looking at these complete tube sets cause I was interested in getting NOS where I could. I'm not too particular when it comes to "this tube sounds like this or that", just want well known reliable and well liked tubes. Also, I've bought from Eruotubes before for a guitar amp, super nice dude but wasn't that into the JJ's. Anyone want to put in their 2 cents or know of other tube sets available?

http://www.fliptops.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_64&products_id=363

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160203141909

Thanks!

2. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    I think you need a full service, you don't want to put new tubes in an amp that needs caps and/or other stuff, -you'll just burn out tubes or trannys.
    I like old US tubes, there's nothing wrong with used in good conditions, they usually sound as good as NOS. Chances are some of your tubes are still good and have hundereds if not thousands of hours left in them. Get them tested and reuse what you can.

3. Your amp needs service. A tech needs to make the decision if it requires new tubes AFTER other issues with the amp are addressed.

4. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Just give the amp to me and rid yourself of all these problems.

:bassist:

5. finjam

finjam

Sep 18, 2008

Of course! Why didn't I think of that! Here you go: :spit: Now to really stick it in your craw: I found this amp at a shop in San Jose for $800 (me no pay $1200 on ebay).

Thanks for the input guys, I'll do that! Unfortunately the nearest amp guy is like 45 minutes away but I'll deal.

-