Retubing Aguilar 680

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kcdbass, Apr 5, 2002.

1. kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    hello people ...

i am hearing some swishing in my aguilar 680 preamp. the tubes must be at least 3 to 4 years old. i haven't asked aguilar the date of the unit ... but the serial number is 107 and it's written in black sharpie! :)

once the amp is warmed up, this swish seems less noticable ...

does anybody have first-hand experience replacing tubes ... do you just plug 'em in ... none of that biasing crap, right?

sorry, i know that's kinda a simple question ... but i'm really un-technical ... plug in and play ...

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would take your pre-amp to a tech before you consider re-tubing. While new tubes won't hurt, it would be costly if it turns out that's not the problem!

You do not have to bias pre-amp tubes. Only power tubes require biasing. The Aguilar DB680 contains (2) 12AX7A's, and (3) 12AU7's, so you don't need to bias it.
  3. Hey... PM Spacegoat.He is a tubehead from way back! :D Seriously,he can answer any if not all of your tube questions.I just got thru picking his brain a while back.:p
  4. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I just retubed mine with the JJ's, and the Aguilar site specifies that the tube complement is 1 12ax7, 1 5751, and 3 12au7's. My local tech told me that the 5751 was a slightly lower gain 12ax7 type probably used for the DI out. that one I got as an NOS.

It pays to take it to a tech, even if it's only for a cleaning. It's real dusty where I live.