1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Retubing Aguilar 680

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kcdbass, Apr 5, 2002.

1. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    hello people ...

i am hearing some swishing in my aguilar 680 preamp. the tubes must be at least 3 to 4 years old. i haven't asked aguilar the date of the unit ... but the serial number is 107 and it's written in black sharpie! :)

once the amp is warmed up, this swish seems less noticable ...

does anybody have first-hand experience replacing tubes ... do you just plug 'em in ... none of that biasing crap, right?

sorry, i know that's kinda a simple question ... but i'm really un-technical ... plug in and play ...

thanks!

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would take your pre-amp to a tech before you consider re-tubing. While new tubes won't hurt, it would be costly if it turns out that's not the problem!

You do not have to bias pre-amp tubes. Only power tubes require biasing. The Aguilar DB680 contains (2) 12AX7A's, and (3) 12AU7's, so you don't need to bias it.

3. Hey... PM Spacegoat.He is a tubehead from way back! :D Seriously,he can answer any if not all of your tube questions.I just got thru picking his brain a while back.:p

4. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I just retubed mine with the JJ's, and the Aguilar site specifies that the tube complement is 1 12ax7, 1 5751, and 3 12au7's. My local tech told me that the 5751 was a slightly lower gain 12ax7 type probably used for the DI out. that one I got as an NOS.

It pays to take it to a tech, even if it's only for a cleaning. It's real dusty where I live.