1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Retubing Mesa Bass 400+ question....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fezzey, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Can anyone tell me how the power tubes are to be installed in a Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ if I have six matched pairs? There are twelve 6L6 power tubes and I have no idea how they are paired. Thanks!

2. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    I think the top/bottom tubes are matched pairs not side by side.

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    From each matched pair, I'd install one into the front row and the other into the back row. (right across from each other)

4. twinfallsbass

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    What anderbass said :)

5. Thank you all. That is what I would have guessed, but I don't want to guess.

6. twinfallsbass

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    Did you buy your tubes from EuroTubes or thetubestore.com?They will send you tubes that match the requirements of your fixed bias. If you did not you will have to have adjustable bias installed.

7. durarl

durarl

Oct 29, 2007
    Just to give you a heads up, I have heard of Mesa's giving people trouble when the tubes being used are not Mesa's own brand. I know that every manufacture wants you using their own brand, but "foreign tubes" in a Mesa amp tend to be microphonic. Different Amp books and experience tell me this is true. Hopefully you get lucky.

8. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've got sovteks in mine, it's fine :)

You may want to get the adjustable bias mod installed so you can get the thing biased for your tubes, if you haven't. I think Mesa sells matched dozens, and I think the 400+ expects that.