Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

retuning?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by tbassist4, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Hello, I just recently purchased an upright and have been teaching myself how to play it. When I play a song that should have a solo tuning is it okay for the strings and the instrument to just tune everything up? I noticed that vendors sell solo strings. So I was wondering if its bad to use a solo tuning on normal strings.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    You can overstretch orchestra tuning strings when you bring them to solo pitch.
    However if you use a lighter gauge string, they'll probably support the stretch more easily.
    Solo tuning strings tuned at orchestra pitch may be a little floppy, so you may wish to get a set that sits in between.

Some suggestions:

Flexocors (available in three gauges and also solo-tuning): you may wish to look at the thin gauge set.
    Jargars (available in three gauges): you may wish to look at the Dolce set.
    D'Addario Helicore orchestrals: (available in three gauges and also solo-tuning): you may wish to look at the light gauge set.
    Thomastik Spirocores: (available in three gauges and also solo-tuning): you may wish to look at the Weich gauge set.

The first three suggestions are typical orchestral strings, and the Spirocore is mostly a jazz pizz string.
    D'Addario Helicores are also available in Hybrid and Pizzicato sets.
    (increased sustain and brightness)