retuning?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by tbassist4, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Hello, I just recently purchased an upright and have been teaching myself how to play it. When I play a song that should have a solo tuning is it okay for the strings and the instrument to just tune everything up? I noticed that vendors sell solo strings. So I was wondering if its bad to use a solo tuning on normal strings.

2. You can overstretch orchestra tuning strings when you bring them to solo pitch.
    However if you use a lighter gauge string, they'll probably support the stretch more easily.
    Solo tuning strings tuned at orchestra pitch may be a little floppy, so you may wish to get a set that sits in between.

Some suggestions:

Flexocors (available in three gauges and also solo-tuning): you may wish to look at the thin gauge set.
    Jargars (available in three gauges): you may wish to look at the Dolce set.
    D'Addario Helicore orchestrals: (available in three gauges and also solo-tuning): you may wish to look at the light gauge set.
    Thomastik Spirocores: (available in three gauges and also solo-tuning): you may wish to look at the Weich gauge set.

The first three suggestions are typical orchestral strings, and the Spirocore is mostly a jazz pizz string.
    D'Addario Helicores are also available in Hybrid and Pizzicato sets.
    (increased sustain and brightness)