1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Return of the 12.125424420175lbs Jazz bass Vs The mighty Jaguar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spanky(Andy), Mar 28, 2009.

1. Dear Dorothy Dix,

:help:

I am writing to you in the hope you can help me with my quandary.

3 years ago I met a beautiful blonde. A natural finish ash body MIJ Fender '75 Jazz bass reissue. I am in love! I showered her with love and attention and put chrome covers on her and changed her pickguard to tort as soon as we met. :D She is absolutely gorgeous, has a beautiful curvy, resonant body, brilliant bound and blocked neck, has tone, punch and makes me smile as soon as I see and touch her.

Unfortunately, there is a down side. One, teeny weeny issue... and it breaks my heart to bring it up. She weighs an absolute ton! 5.5kg or 12.125424420175 lbs to be precise :eyebrow:

... but that's only part of the issue :scowl:

My quandary is that lately I've been thinking unfaithful thoughts and have been letting my eyes wander. My heart has been captured by a beautiful, slim, curvy red head and occasionally, her equally beautiful blonde headed sisters too. I think of her all the time, but I'm not sure she even knows I exist. She goes by the name of Jaguar and I know many of your readers would share my admiration of her looks and voice.

Am I a cad? Should I stick with my beloved, yet porcine Jazz bass and lavish her with more love and attention by pimping her with an Audere pre-amp and BAII (the stock bridge buzzes on the A string intermittently)? I'm worried this will only increase her already hefty weight.

I've tried 4" wide Italia leather straps, padded Fender leather straps and a comfort strap, but they don't help with the weight distribution at all. She kills my shoulder after half an hour standing. I am now looking at either a NeoTech (which isn't sold in this country and no-one in the US seems to want to sell it overseas) strap or an expensive Ritter Tempur bass strap.

Or should I be a jerk and dump her (I'd only get AU$800.00 max in this economy) and look elsewhere?

It would cost at least AU$1,350 to buy a local 9lb Jaguar bass (I love the bass, great weight, but the body didn't feel resonant at all), or AU$1,875 to buy a MIJ Marcus Miller of unknown weight from an interstate dealer as there are none available locally... from what I've read I'd probably also want to swap the MM preamp out later for a Sadowsky. I haven't touched a MM, but have often admired the tone on YouTube (MarloweDK in particular)

I'd appreciate any advice you can spare this lovelorn, torn and conflicted sap.

Sincerely

Andy in a quandary

2. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Dump her...No Fat Chicks.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    "but the body didn't feel resonant at all" means wait for the next Jaguar to show up.