Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

return sterling for stingray5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tmu, Mar 29, 2005.

1. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Hey, I just bought a sterling new, and was thinking of returing it to the store because they just got in a used 5 string stingray. The one I got is honeyburst, and the used one is black. I play arty rock music. Any comments about differences in tone between this instruments?

If I get the 5 i will save 500$. Of course, the bass is used, so...

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Stingray 5 is very similar to the Sterling electronically. Triple coil humbucker as well as the coil tap switch. I think if you don't mind an extra string and $500 in your pocket, it's a great deal.

3. The SR5 is the best bass out of the 16 I have owned so far. It is a little heavy, but if you don't mind that....

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    More than similar. The Sterling is the 4 string version of the Stingray 5, so I'd say go for it.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I love my Sterling and my SR5 equally, but if I had to choose only one based on utility (not sentiment), I'd keep the SR5. IMO they sound remarkably similar.

Attached Files:

6. The pickups ARE different. They use different types of magnets. The SR pickup is your standard dual coil while the Sterling pickup has a hidden 3rd coil underneath it used as a hum canceller.

Try them side by side through the same rig and decide which sound you like the best.

7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    ,and even with this being said,they both STILL sound the same.

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Nope - the SR5 has a phantom coil, too. See Ernie Ball MM's SR5 page for details.

SR4s don't have the phantom coil, of course...

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Tough decision. I think i would go with the SR5, only because they do sound very very similiar and you would get so much cash back. For $300 more than $500 you can get a used Sterling and have both :smug:

10. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Well put. I think the only thing keeping me back would be aesthetics, because the 5 string is black on black and the oen I have is honeyburst (although black has its own, classy quality...)

11. all it would take is a tort or black pearloid pickguard on the StingRay 5 and youd be set.

12. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    That's a good idea...

13. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    nice, thanks for the pics. :bassist:
    where is the best place to get a new pickguard from?

14. eBay is where I have gotten most of mine. otherwise call Bass Central. www.basscentral.com

15. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    You can also order them direct from Ernie Ball.

16. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    [​IMG][​IMG]

White pearl goes with everything!

17. alansan

alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Not to highjack your thread tmu, but I was wondering if it is possible to change the colour of the plastic pickup cover on a SR5 (not the pickguard).

Can you buy these separatly or do you have to buy a whole new pu?

:ninja:

18. The pickup is actually that colour, if you wanted a different colour you would have to change the pickup, unless you wanted to unwind the whole pick up, hammer the magnets out, fiddle with the fake coils, and put it all back in a different case, then you can do that.. i suppose..

19. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Actually, several people have sucessfully changed the covers on SR5 pickups. It's glued onto the pickup frame with silicone sealant. No unwinding or other nonsense is needed. The cover is not designed to be removed, so there's some risk involved in chaning one out.