Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Return to Forever: One of the greatest Jazz groups EVER

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Apr 22, 2004.

1. I just checked these guys out today and I have to say, i'm floored. Chick Corea, Stanley Clark, Al Dimeola and Lenny white, 4 of the best musicians ever all in one band. What do you guys think is the best CD of theirs? I have to say Romantic Warrior is the best, and the title song kicks serious arse!

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Could be "lighter than a feather"

good tune too!

one of the greatest.... sure..... but IMHO, Weather Report kills em.....

just my obnoxious 2euros...

3. I want to like Weather Report, but maybe I just haven't heard the right stuff. I bought Heavy Weather a few years back, but with the exception of one or two tracks I just think it's a little too adult contemporary-slick for my taste. They ARE great musicians, though.

As far as Return To Forever, I've always been partial to the album (and I'm sorta messing up the title here because I can't remember it exactly) Where I Have Known You Before. There's some Stanley Clark bass playing on it that's SO good it almost made me decided to give up playing, cuz' i'll never be able to compete with it. Just kidding, but holy buckets, man....there's some superhuman bass playing on it.

There was a recent two-disc "best of" retrospective CD that was released that's a great place to start. Full of very good liner notes, great cover, and great songs from throughout the band's career.

If you like Return To Forever, you might also like Mahavishnu Orchestra. Just a thought.

4. Yea I also dig Mahavishnu Orchestra. Billy Cobham is a MONSTER!!

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Honestly, the RTF 4-tet of Corea-Clarke-White-Dimeola didn't float my boat as the earlier version w/ Joe Farrell, Airto, & Billy Connors.
    I do like Romantic Warrior, though...a lot!

Anyway-
    I still prefer Weather Report(Vitous/Alphonso era + the Jaco era) over any of the '70s Fusion super groups.
    Pick up WR's Live & Unreleased double disc set!

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, I always preferred Weather Report too. Something about them just seemed more...poetic?

Don't get me wrong, I still think RTF is a great group, Romantic warrior, hymn of the 7th universe, those are great albums, but for the most part, I found RTF a little too busy most of the time.

I could never really get into the mahavishnu orchestra, they are pretty cool what I've heard, but never really wowed me.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Miles' band with Williams and Miller weren't too shabby either!

8. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    Heck on 'bitches brew' miles had virtually everyone mentioned in this thread. Man, who all played on that.... thinking...

Wayne Shorter, Joe Zawinul, Chick Corea, Lenny White, Cobham, Bennie Maupin ..... miles of course....

9. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    agreed. that ablum would still be killer w/o miles...... so it's that much better....

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    How 'bout esoteric?
    ;)

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Some consider BB as the FIRST Fusion album.
    If you have the complete box of BB...you can almost hear McLaughlin & Cobham's 'noodling' as a precursor to the Mahavishnu Orchestra.
    Harvey Brooks of the Electric Flag was also a participant of BB.
    Dave Holland, too.

...and if you think of RTF(w/ Dimeola) as 'the' Rocked-out Jazz Fusion band-
    Don't forget about Tony Williams LIfetime(w/ McLaughlin & Larry Young). Raw & 'in thee face'!
    ;)

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i kind of feel the same way about heavy weather. other than palladium and havona, a lot of it isnt as risk taking as their earlier stuff. my favs are sweetnighter,mysterious traveller,tale spinnin', and black market. if i could recommend only one weather report album it would be black market. theyre definitely not the more rock oriented fusion that maha or the middle period of rtf were.

as for rtf,hymn of the seventh galaxy,where have i known you before and romantic warrior or the high spots for me. i didnt think no mystery was that strong of an album. the early rtf and 77 era rtf dont really do it for me. joe farrell in particular.

my desert island old school fusion discs-
    weather report-black market
    rtf-romantic warrior
    tony williams-believe it
    herbie hancock-thrust
    billy cobham/george duke-live in europe

boderline,but amazing nonetheless-
    brand x-unorthodox behavior
    brecker brothers- straphangin
    miles davis-we want miles
    mahavishnu-inner mounting flame
    alphonso johnson-yesterday's dreams
    lenny white-venusian summer
    mingo lewis-flight never ending
    stanley clarke-school days

13. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    IMO romantic Warrior is one of the most incrdible albums ever recorded. Another great album in a similar vein is a Lenny White Solo Album,
    The Voyage of the Astral Pirates with Alex Blake on bass. Also incredible stuff.
    Peace

14. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    RTF is what got me into the whole Jazz thing.

When a friend introduced me to RTF - Romantic Warrior, my whole musical world expanded dramatically.

My other favorite is "Where Have I Known You before", there is some crazy stuff on there.

15. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I agree. Back in the mid to late 1970s, listening to the first RTF four albums helped me approach the bass solo from a totally new direction. Stanley did some outrageously awesome solos, for the time, on those albums.

16. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    I like the more fusion-style RTF discs, but I have Light As A Feather and the HORRIFFIC vocals are a major turnoff to listening to the album.

17. Thanks for some of the other band suggestions. I checked out bitches brew and that song scared the crap out of me at 3 in the morning. The Lenny White solo album was also blazing. Fusion is my new favorite Genre.

18. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    If you dig any, and I mean ANY of the albums mentioned in this thread so far, then I think you really ought to give a listen to Vertu'. Just try it. You can thank me later.

19. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, that was a rare band. Even rarer to get four musicians of that caliber all on the same wavelength. IMO "No Mystery" is THE definitive fusion album. It was the first of its kind. And, plenty of more complex stuff followed it (like Romantic Warrior, which I agree is a masterpiece of composition as well as performance), but No Mystery captured the essence of jazz fusion at the time, and its relationship to rock 'n' roll. That recording, and the tour that followed it, put lots of careers on the map (and extended several others).

Then if you look at the solo records that those guys did afterwards, they read like a "who's who" of the fusion genre. Drummers like Cobham, Steve Gadd, Gerry Brown, guitar players like Coryell and Ray Gomez, and keys by David Sancious, George Duke, Jan Hammer, the list goes on. If you just stuck to that one band and the musicians in it, and started your quest from there, you'd eventually come across most of the relevant players in the genre.

And I can't be a hundred percent certain, but I'm told that No Mystery preceded the band's forays into Scientology.

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I didn't like Vertu...at all. Too cliched, IMO.
    Maybe if it were released in the '70s? I dunno.

For '90s style Fusion, give me Tribal Tech(Reality Check, Face First, or Rocket Science) or Tom Coster(Let's Set THe Record Straight & The Forbidden Zone).