Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Return to Forever

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Beast, Aug 3, 2004.

1. The Beast

The Beast

Jul 19, 2004
    Evil Town
    GREAT fusion group with Al DiMieola, Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea, and Lenny White. :cool:

Everyone needs to listen and bow to them.

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    What year is it? I had all their albums(Yes, LP's) back in the early '80's.

Try Vertu. Stanley and Lenny from RTF with Richie Kotzen, Karen Briggs and Rachel Z. They're billed as the second coming of fusion.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    RTF was a huge influence on me when I was a kid and learning to play. Now though I find it a bit wankerish - a lot of over playing.

I prefer the first RTF album without DiMeola and Stanley playing DB.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - 30 years ago almost!! :meh:

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I dig 'em too. But many do not.

Many of us are just lucky there was a time that much of that era's music got heavy rotation on FM and college radio stations.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I prefer the first RTF album without DiMeola and Stanley playing DB.

+1

I saw a show on the Romantic Warrior tour though, and there was a long (2+ hours!) acoustic improv set in the middle of the show. Stanley was great on upright bass. Same when I saw his band and Shakti share a bill. McLaughlin and Stanley killed (in a good way) Goodbye, Porkpie Hat, played acoustically.

I like RTF better with Bill Connors, even. The stuff with Flora Purim is still worth a listen, IMHO. I never listen to the classic RTF electric sides anymore though. What were we/they thinking back then?

Still, for guys who didn't live that era at the time, there are many worse avenues of musical edification, no? :cool:

7. You know, I've looked all over for that album, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere. :crying:

As for RTF, I can't really say. I bought Romantic Warrior out of curiosity, but never really gave it a serious listen. Perhaps I should do that when I get back to LA.

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agreed.

If one digs '70s electric RTF...check out the later albums of Tribal Tech(same instrumentation as electric RTF on TT's later albums).

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I won't go as far as 'stank.' It was definitely not as strong as a RTF album. But about a third was good. A third of a good CD is a better ratio than I usually get nowadays.

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

Stank. Like week-old egg salad my brutha !

I'm just glad Stan is back to playing the bass.

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I must have liked it more than you. I was just glad to hear Stanley and Lenny together again. And Rachel Z has some smoove keyboard moves. I could have lived without the guitar parts and I was neutral on the violin. But still, I give it about one out of three.

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Lenny is the Man...

I once saw George Benson and Earl Klugh play at the Baltimore Opera and the real treat of the evening was Lenny on drums !

14. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah - I got that album and loved the Bass solos and general bass/drums playing and was surprised how good Rachel Z was - but the guitar playing is simply horrible - I hate it with a vengeance - even more so as, it was taking away from the other players! :scowl:

15. Well, Richie did replace (or should it be "replace?") Paul Gilbert in Mr. Big...

16. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Well he is an okay pentatonic rock player but he was way out of his depth with these people.

Is it just me or does it seem a little too appropriate that his last name means 'vomit' in German?

17. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    how so?

18. Bruce Lindfield

Plus a really nasty and inappropriate, distorted tone!!

19. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    im not a big kotzen fan but keith richards is an okay pentatonic rock player. richie does a lot more than that. im not real big on the shrapnel guys but theyre great at what they do.

20. Bruce Lindfield

But the point is it's inapproriate for this situation - every time the guitar comes in it jars and sticks out like a sore thumb - I think it's a shame as Stanley's playing is great and I really love evrything about it - great tone, wonderfully melodic solos, etc. - but I just cannot listen to the album, as I can't sit through a second of any of the guitar parts - I just have to turn it off! :meh: