1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Returned MarkBass & got Mesa

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Boogie.Man, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Boogie.Man

Boogie.Man

Apr 9, 2009
    I recently upgraded my amp. I went from a GK Backline 210 to a MarkBass CMD 102P. It was a great amp but it just sounded to sterile. I also couldn't get past the tweeter hiss. Yes I know you can adjust the VLE but that make a lot of the VLE range useless unless you want the hiss. In addition, the support for MarkBass is basically GC. If you blow a speaker you've got to send your damaged one to Italy and await the new one. That was a major concern.

I returned it and ordered a Mesa Boogie WalkAbout Scout. Wow, the sound is a lot richer than the MarkBass. It doesn't have that high-fi sound of the MarkBass. It is heavier but it is built to an even higher quality than the MarkBass.

IMHO, MarkBass make an excellent series of bass amplifiers, but the Mesa Boogies are in another class.

2. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I love my Mesa Boogie gear, and loved the Scout when I had one. But I think one can be happy with both "MBs" for different applications.

3. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Can't say enough great stuff about Mesa! I find a lot of celebrated "hi-fi" type amps hissy in their basic sound.

In other words, sounds like you made the right move - for you, anyway. No amp is for everybody. Looks like you can call yourself a Mesa man!

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

1) MB stuff does NOT go back to Italy. They have one of the best warranty programs around. If something goes wrong, you return the unit to GC and they give you another one.

2) Tweeter hiss is primarily a function of what you are putting into the amp. However, I agree that the tweeters on some of the Markbass cabs are not very good (the piezo loaded ones). And the fact that the Markbass combo's don't have a tweeter attenuator is one of the reasons I love the heads and not much else in the Markbass line. So, +1 there.

3) The Walkabout is awesome, and is quite different from the combo you had... fat and tubey versus quick and accurate. Both are great, but it would be hard to not have a preference between those two very different sounding rigs!

Enjoy the Walkabout. It's a fine piece of gear!

5. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    funny I did the opposite I returned my 400+ to get a LMII now I want to return my PH 1000 to get markbass or berg cab

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'm glad I'm not the only member here who isn't all dizzy over markbass. The Walkabout Scout is my favorite combo amp of all time. Sweet tone is worth anything, and now, you've got it. Enjoy your Scout.

7. LowBSix

LowBSix Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    I agree!

8. Voss451

Voss451

Mar 2, 2009
    I would have loved to have gotten an M6 Carbine but ended up with the LMII because the M6 would have been literally almost twice the price (I paid $790 CDN total for the LMII and the M6 locally is $1,300 BEFORE taxes).

The Mesa might sound a bit better but not $750 better. :smug:

9. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Man you would be disappointed going from the PH1000 to any markbass cab :p not even comparable.

Berg, otoh, is pretty damn awesome, so that might be the right move :)

10. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Mesa makes wonderful wonderful stuff. I could see myself getting a Scout for certain applications and if I did, I know I would use it. Mesa has great stuff that absolutely sounds very different from Markbass.

I don't think this is a "in another class" kind of situation though. Seems hard to believe the likes of Jeff Berlin (who uses Markbass) would deny themselves the best "class" of amp. In my opinion that's like saying a Ferrari has a different level of quality than a Bentley. Each are gorgeous machines that are designed for different users and applications.

11. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    Just bought a Mesa powerhouse 4x10
    and I'm supersatisfied...

a great amp... great sounding.

12. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    The Scout is a great amp, I love mine. I can't knock MarkBass, their gear obviously makes a lot of folks happy. The Scout is just much more my thing from a tonal perspective. Sounds like it is for you, too, so you made the right move.

13. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I would beg to differ with the best waranty program around part. Depends on when you bought it as to which warranty you have. My CMD 102P had a blown speaker and the GC warranty company insisted on fixing it.They had it for almost 5 months! The shop that had it could not locate a replacement speaker and got no help whatsoever from Markbass. They(Markbass)would even return a phone call.At one point they found a distributor in NY that said he had one and told them every week for 2 months that he was shipping to them but never did. Finally the GC warranty company paid me out for the orignal cost of the amp minus the cost of the warranty which was automatically tacked on to the purchase price.Great sounding amp but what good is it when you can even buy a replacment speaker. No thanks, i'll stick with GK and Ampeg.

14. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    "Boogie man" likes Mesa stuff? I never would have guessed. :D I'd love to play through a Walkabout. Sounds like my kind of amp.

15. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

A piezo tweeter is fine as long as there is absolutely no clipping in the amp. Otherwise the piezo sounds it out loud and clear. You could almost consider a piezo as a clipping detector.

You generally don't attenuate piezos; they don't need crossovers anyway.

16. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

It's not that they sound particularly bad inherently (clipping is not the issue). I realize they don't need a crossover, but an attenuator is key IMO, especially for the quite evenly voiced LMII, which has a lot of sizzle up top. The identical stand-alone cabs from MB with piezo tweeter have attenuators, and they sound fine.

You can use the VLE to control the upper end sizzle, but the VLE starts to impact the upper mids pretty early on in its travel (like any passive treble control). This, combined with piezo's extending the treble response WAY up high, which can add a bit of noise if you can't attenuate them, makes the combo design less that optimal to me.

Finally, I do hear a bit of 'harshness' in the piezo tweeter cabs versus the other (I assume higher quality) tweeters with crossovers in the MB line.

17. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'm talking about the current warranty that was put into place over a year ago. Warranty is a ZERO issue now when considering MB IMO.

Ampeg warranty service currently... you've got to be kidding:smug::p

18. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Yeah but what are you going to do when the 2 years is up and you can't get it fixed...........As far as Ampeg I bought a NOS USA built SVT Classic at GC last year that had tubes that wouldn't bias correctly.I called Ampeg and they sent me a whole brand new set(pre,power,driver) of tubes for free the next day. So no i'm not kidding.......:meh:

19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

They have a dedicated repair station in the US. Again, as far as I know, zero issue.

Again, if you are worried about this, I can understand your hesitence to purchase one of their products, especially given what sounds like a horrible experience a while back. However, the reliability of the MB stuff seems pretty remarkable, and they seem TOTALLY set-up in the US at this point to support their products.

Given what is going on at Ampeg, I would have MUCH deeper concerns there with on-going product support (especially out over two years), but again, that's just me.

I agree with you in general though that buying the stuff from companies that have headquarters located out of the US (TecAmp, Glockenklang, Markbass, etc.) is not as 'easy' as buying US stuff from small manufacturers if something goes wrong (Genz, Acoustic Image, etc.). However, the tone is worth it for me, and the reliability of the MB, Glock and TecAmp stuff seems solid enough that I'm willing to take the risk that getting it fixed MIGHT be a bit more of a hassle. Companies like SWR, Eden, and now Ampeg are, to me, in that 'middle ground' (i.e., used to be 'local and responsive' like GK, Genz, etc., but now, bought out by larger companies who seem to be having 'issues' with both service and quality). IMO there.

The good news is that electronic products like amps tend to fail right out of the box if there is an issue. If you make it past the first week, the probabilities are that you will be good to go for years and years, barring user error or abuse.

20. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Totally agree with this ....

A few weeks ago my 151P cab started breaking up (probably the crossover) after I owned it about 5 months. I originally bought it from GC on-line (local GC didn't have any in stock), but I brought it back to the local store (East Brunswick NJ) for repair. They shipped it back to the service center for me, and MB shipped me a brand new cab. Total time about 2 weeks from the date I dropped it off until I got the new one. Didn't cost me a dime ....

The local store offered me a floor model to use until the new one came in. Since I bought it on line they really didn't have to do a thing to help me, but I was very impressed with the support I got. I know GC gets a lot of hard knocks in this forum, but they've always been super helpful and IMO went the extra mile to be sure I was taken care of ... :cool: