1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

returning a bass i bought on ebay: how to make sure i get my money back?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by UnderDogbassist, May 13, 2011.

1. i recently bought a bass on ebay, and when i got it, there were some things that weren't described properly, and the end result is that i messaged the guy, and he apologized, and said that i can return it to him. he said that he will give me a full refund when he gets a tracking number. to be specific this the direct quote:

Please send the bass back and I will refund you the full amount for your purchase. Sorry for the mixup. Let me know when it is in route here. I will refund your money as soon as I have a tracking number.

just in case some of you want to look that over to see if there is a catch in his words. a friend of mine is worried that i won't get my money back, and the guy will simply hold onto the bass and the money. i told him that if that happens, i'll simply report it to ebay, since all the evidence of the problems with the bass, and the fact that he said he would refund and accept a return is in my ebay message inbox. what do you guys think? is it safe enough that i won't have to pursue a higher authority unless something comes up?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Nothing is ever safe, least of all long-distance transactions. That said, Ebay does have buyer protection, which will help you get your money back even if the guy is a scammer. They don't guarantee you'll get all your money back, but they have a collections system in place. Just so you know, his request is in keeping with Ebay rules. In order for them to support you in getting a refund, you have to ship the item back, with a tracking number.

3. Tracebassplayer

Tracebassplayer Sometimes Darkness Can Show You The Light.

Dec 15, 2000
    Portland, OR
    All returns/claims should go thru eBay.
    They will tell you to send it back with Tracking and Signature Required at your cost.
    But, the ONLY way to have the best chance and CYA is to file a claim with eBay. This will NOT show negatively on either feedback rating but will cover you in case he decides NOT to refund you. As long as you go through eBay Buyer Protection protocol, Ebay/PayPal will be able to help you. Otherwise, you are on your own.