1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

returning to bass, need more sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by test dude, Oct 5, 2010.

1. test dude

test dude

Nov 13, 2006
    Long Island NY
    Hey, well im not really returning (like i ever left pshh) But id been playing my acoustic guitar for a few months and just brought my bass stuff back from my other home in PA. I audtioned for a band and they told me to come back this saturday. My gear is great for me now, Ampeg 410 hlf with a b2re head, but I feel like i could use a little more sound. I was looking at some used gear to possibly pair with my existing cab and head. Should I do possibly another 4x10 or maybe 2x10. I just wanted to know if adding a few more speakers will give me louder sound... maybe i could sell my cab or trade for a 6 or 8x10 hmmm. any input guys.

2. ThrashMaster

ThrashMaster

Jul 7, 2010
    Boston, MA
    that b2re doesnt exactly have alot of wattage, and hauling another speaker cabinet would certainly be much more of a pain that getting a more powerful head.

Why not sell the b2 and get something with some more balls?

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The amp you have now will not support any more speakers than what you already have. 4 ohm min head, 4 ohm cab. Your options are: sell both and start fresh, or swap either/or. You cannot "add to" what you've got.

4. MrRumble

MrRumble

Aug 8, 2006
    Plymouth, MN
    Eden WT405 and a Bergantino NV610, shook a pitcher of beer right off the bar table. All I will ever need for "more sound" power.

5. test dude

test dude

Nov 13, 2006
    Long Island NY
    Well I do have a gk 800 rb but all of a sudden it started smoking, I had it repaired and now I think it's happening again. I love the head but it's becoming an expensive thing. Maybe I should put money into it again?

6. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I say start fresh. Can't go wrong with some nice used GK stuff.. or Markbass gear, but I'm biased towards Markbass. :D

7. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Just adding to this. I'm quite surprised that this combination isn't enough. Admittedly, I don't have any experience with either the head or cab, but I thought a 450w @ 4ohm head, into a 4ohm 400w 4x10 would be ample.

Is there something inherently bad in the design that makes really inefficient use of that power?

What are you playing up against in the band? ie, what are the guitarists using?

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

This - the B2RE is very weak for it's rating... If you paired that 410 up with a 700rb-II, it would get VERY loud...

- georgestrings

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

That head is woefully underpowered for it's rating - the cab isn't the problem...

- georgestrings

10. Threads like this are just an opportunity for folks to post THEIR favourite amplifiers. Their tone goals may well be polar opposites of yours. The only way you can get where you want to go is to try everything you can plug your bass into. Only you will know when you find what you are looking for.

11. ThrashMaster

ThrashMaster

Jul 7, 2010
    Boston, MA
    why not just buy a big ass poweramp for cheap off ebay and run it from the preamp output of the b2re...keep the sound youre pleased with, but with more oomph. Also the cheapest option anyone has mentioned. for quiter situations leave the outboard power at home.

12. test dude

test dude

Nov 13, 2006
    Long Island NY
    The band consists of a guitar, he used a small amp, looked like a line 6 with the two 12 inch speakers, but it wasnt his nomal setup, I think its one of those larger 4 speaker cabs + a head. Basic drum setup cymbals, kick, 3 toms, snare. Singer was going through a pa setup, but i could barely make out the words clearly.
    I may just end up bringing my GK 800rb back to life or try and buy another used 800 or something around the same price with the same performance.
    Im not worried about these big bars/clubs because they usually mic up everything, its just the smaller places around town and I feel like im on the cusp of pushing the amp too much using the head. I would think I'd be okay with my 4x10

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Apparently he went wrong with that GK 800 RB.

14. test dude

test dude

Nov 13, 2006
    Long Island NY
    Found one option. Possible trade my 410 Hlf for ampeg 6x10 I add 150. What do you think?

LF Drivers: 6 x 10”
    Voice Coil: 2”
    Magnet Weight (each): 30 oz
    HF Drivers: Horn/Driver
    Voice Coil: 1”
    Magnet Weight (each): 8 oz
    RMS Power Handling: 600-Watts
    Frequency Response (-3dB): 53Hz-18kHz
    Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 42Hz
    Nominal Impedance: 4-Ohms
    Sensitivity: 98dB
    Maximum SPL: 125dB
    Dimensions (W x H x D inches): 24 x 40 x 16
    Shipping Weight: 135 Pounds
    Handling Weight: 110 Pounds

LF Drivers: 4 x 10”
    Voice Coil: 2”
    Magnet Weight (each): 30 oz
    HF Drivers: Horn/Driver
    Voice Coil: 1”
    Magnet Weight (each): 8 oz
    RMS Power Handling: 500-Watts
    Frequency Response (-3dB): 48Hz-18kHz
    Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 28Hz
    Nominal Impedance: 4-Ohms
    Sensitivity: 98dB
    Maximum SPL: 125dB
    Dimensions (W x H x D inches): 24 x 30 x 19
    Shipping Weight: 110 Pounds
    Handling Weight: 85 Pounds
    Don't know if there's a big difference between the two. I'm not gonna do anything till I get my gk head home and see whatsup with it.

15. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Well going by mine and other subsequent comments in this thread I don't think the number of speakers you currently have is the issue. Plus if you're playing against a single guitarist with a half stack at most, your current cab should be fine.

You need a more powerful amp to drive it.

16. test dude

test dude

Nov 13, 2006
    Long Island NY
    So, I cant hear my bass good at all at practice the other day. its too low not punchy at all and Im looking at my Head and the red peak button flashes and so does the yellow clip light. I enjoy playing with my fingers and not having to use a pick to cut through! What do i do!?!? I need something quick. SHould i buy something to pair with my 410? I dont like that the speakers are growling at me because im pushing this thing so much. Hopefully buying a 700rb within the week.

17. at least find out what it will cost to bring it up to gig worthy reliability.....it may give you enough clout on it's own ,or it could be used in conjunction with the ampeg and a second cab....

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    That rig is more than enough to play any venue ... if you simply get pa support.

19. test dude

test dude

Nov 13, 2006
    Long Island NY
    So, I upgraded to the 610 this past week, and I do admit i'd given my b2re a little sh"$ talk, but after practice today with the band everything sounded much nicer. Definetly a little more headroom with the 610 and i barely saw the peak light come on, maybe once when I hit the strings wierd. But so far decent pair, I bought a little markbass 2 which I cant wait to hear how that sounds, and I think im in need of a pedal. Sansamp is nice but way to expensive for me right now with all this new stuff.

20. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The speakers in that 610, at least the top 4 of them are voiced different than the 410hlf. Likely more mids and less low woof. That and the fact that it's taller/speakers closer to ear level makes it easier to hear yourself. Some like the low boom of the hlf, to me they're muddy. There's also a ton of cancellations to deal with when you pile a bunch of gear in a practice room or on a small stage at the local bar.