Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Returning to Bassing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassnewbie11, Sep 1, 2003.

1. bassnewbie11

bassnewbie11

Jul 18, 2003
    A small introdruction - a year or two ago i played bass. I had taken lessons for quite a while and I was getting fairly decent. I was in a band and we were beggining to get fairly serious, when all of the sudden the lead guitarist had to move. I felt unmotivated and gave up on bass and sold all my equipment. Now I'm regretting the decision and have decided to return.

I have limited funds, and was looking at this deal http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2553757949&category=38079

Just looking for some general feedback from some experienced bassers

2. bollefen

bollefen

Mar 13, 2003
    CT
    look at the used stuff on this board's for sale there are some good deals.

i got 2 used fender jazz' for sale 4 and 5 string, and others have all sorts of basses and equip.

you'll end up getting much better stuff for only a few bucks more.

bill ;)

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Johnsons are pretty crappy, i would get something that has resale value, so if you decide to sell it again, you'll get most of your money back. I am selling a Fender Jazz Bass in great condition for $300, just tell me if you ar eintersted.

4. My friend started on a Johnson, and from day 1, constantly moaned and groaned about how bad it was...

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Johnson is hardly professional equipment. Below Squier in my opinion. I just nabbed a Mexican P-bass off TB for $200, great deal, and it's a $350 bass, $100 upgrades, $100 case. Definately look to buy used.

Oh, and you're going to want more than 15 watts in an amp. 15 watts won't even keep up with an acoustic guitar.

6. Heh, I used to go over 2 electric guitars w/ my 15watt (that xush now has), but that thing was a monster! AND AND AND!!! It was a Johnson! muahaaha!

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They couldn't have been on then. :D

8. bassnewbie11

bassnewbie11

Jul 18, 2003
    wow that site looks great! Which particular basses do you recomend?

9. 1 30 watt and 1 60 watt turned up enough to make the neighbors hear it good and it went over it ;) Dont underestimate it!

10. If your talking the Essex basses, then I'd go for This one since you were looking at a PBass on eBay :)

11. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
  12. bollefen

bollefen

Mar 13, 2003
    CT
    you have a private message

13. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'd say go with the Fender-style stuff. Classic tone.