Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Returning to the fold...(back into playing)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by cmsouza, Feb 3, 2004.

1. cmsouza

cmsouza

Feb 3, 2004
    Maryland
    Hello all,

About 8 years ago, me and life had some negotiations, and I sadly left my bass playing days behind me. At the time, I had been playing a little over 11 years as a classical bassist. I started in high school with a 3/4 Kay, but when I got to the University level, I was given use one of the school's Grunert 7/8 basses with the whole 9 yards...adjustable bridge, low string extension for a BB, etc. Generally a beautiful instrument to play. Alas, I was not cut out for life as a music major and moved on, but continued to play for another year or so on a 60's Kay clone, which I later sold due to the problems and discomfort encountered with playing the music on the level I typically played.

Essentially, I think I had been hopelessly spoiled by the continually tweaked and well-aged Grunert. Now that I've been away from playing for a while, and having dabbled with teaching one of my daughter's how to play her cello (sorry, they don't offer bass to the elementary school kids in this county...), I have come to find how much I have missed playing. Knowing that I'm dreadfully rusty and out of practice, I am looking to buy a decent bass to get back into the swing of things, and maybe go back to one of the orchestras in the area.

I have looked at what I can afford (OK, more accurately, what my wife will let me spend... :) ) and seen what's out there in that price range. Just a little over what my wife deems acceptable are the carved bulgarian basses at Bob Gollihur's site. Then there's your average student basses in the $400-$1500 range, depending on source/etc.

What I'm looking for is any recommendations you folks might have for one like me...Should I just pick up the $400-$800 3/4 or 4/4 starter basses with bow and bag and do the necessary work on it as I get back into practice, to make it more worthwhile, and/or replace parts that break? (We all know the bits). Or, should I work extra hard to convince my wife to go the extra $500-700 to get something a bit more substantial? (in particular, one of the 4/4 bulgarian basses through Bob...:) )

My reasoning for the carved bass is that I know I'll have to spend a fair amount to repair/replace the problem parts, which will likely end up costing the difference of the higher-quality bass, if not more...But I'm all about the professional opinions and experience of others...Any suggestions anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    First of all, welcome to talkbass.

Secondly, allow me to recommend that you read the Newbies basses links that are tacked to the top of this forum. There is a wealth of info about various makes of basses including a specific one about the many pitfalls of buying a very inexpensive starter bass.

In general, I would say that you are already ahead of the game if you realize that such a purchase is likely pound foolish.

3. cmsouza

cmsouza

Feb 3, 2004
    Maryland
    Thanks! I don't know how I missed it. I guess I got caught up in reading all the other messages...