Reuben Radding in Texas

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by paulunger, May 10, 2005.

1. If any of you have a chance to check out this amazing bass player when he is Texas, run don't walk. I first heard of Reuben when his duo CD, "Luminesence" w/ Daniel Carter (AUM Fidelity), was on a couple of 2003 Jazz top 10 lists. That record blew me away - melodic, emotional, beautiful, exciting. And the concert he played in Dallas, with trombonist Brian Allen, reinforced my earlier impressions. What unbelievable mastery of the entire instrument and bow he has.
    It is rare that someone of Reuben's caliber makes their way to Texas. So anyone out there in Texas, take advantage of this opportunity to check Reuben out, they still have concerts in Austin (Wednesday) and Houston. He has a website,, that has more specific info.
    I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts on this terrific player (and super nice guy guy, too).
  2. Confucius

Dec 27, 2004
    New York
    I have seen him a few times in various groups at CBGB Lounge in NYC. Who is he playing with down in Texas?
  3. He's playing with a great trombone player named Brian Allen. I've seen Brian in various bands - Braintone, Sketchy, Mark Dresser Trio - I've also seen him in Dallas play with some interesting, electronic/improv/avant type bands (that's the best way I can describe it). He's originally from the Houston area.
    BTW I just saw on the website ( that they are playing
    Church of the Friendly Ghost
    209 Pedernales

2604 Dunlavy

It also says something about lessons and masterclasses. Definately worth checking into.
  4. Home Bass

Home Bass

May 11, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Ditto on the the wonderful things paulunger says about Reuben Radding. I was only slightly aware of who Reuben Radding was before going to see him at the Bath House Cultural Center in Dallas last Sunday. All I can say is, "WOW!". I was surprised that when I searched the forum, I did not find much discussion about him. I guess he is still a young up and comer.
    For those of you not familiar with him, he is on par with Mark Dresser, Barre Phillips, Barry Guy and William Parker. I just wish I could take the week off from work and go down to Austin and Houston to see them again. But at least I have a few new CD's of his to keep me happy. The "Luminesence" CD w/ Daniel Carter is one of my new top 20 bass albums of all time. Highly recommended.
  5. Confucius

Dec 27, 2004
    New York
  6. Confucius

Dec 27, 2004
    New York
    Carrie Shull (oboe/English horn)
    Tara Flandreau (viola)
    Reuben Radding (double bass)

Celebrating the release of “The Branch Will Not Break”
    on Umbrella Recordings

East Coast Tour 2005:

May 30 – Chapel Hill, NC - Assembled Sound
    May 31 – Carrboro, NC – Temple Ball
    June 1 – Richmond, VA - Artspace Gallery
    June 2 – Charlottesville, VA – Twisted Branch Tea House
    June 3 – Washington, DC – Sangha (Transparent Productions)
    June 4 – Baltimore, MD – Red Room at Normal’s
    June 5 – New York, NY – Chez Bushwick