1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reuben Rogers' Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Kevin Hsieh, Jun 18, 2007.

1. I saw Joshua Redman last night. Such a great show.
    Was wondering about the bass that Reuben Rogers is using. it's beautiful. does anyone know what it is, and what strings?
    i think he's using a california blonde amp couldn't tell about the p/u

2. I can't help but chime in here...Reuben has been to my shop many times before he moved to NY. His main bass is said to be an unkown czech maker maybe late 1800 's and as far as strings who knows cuz I haven't seen him in years.
    Did ya see the Billy Strayhorn special on PBS ? there's Reuben w. Diana Reeves. :cool:
    Oh...I forgot to mention this Cat is a Mo Fo !!!

3. yea man, he's sick.
    the bass is a beaut too

4. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    The photos on his website show his bass strung with D'Addario Helicore Hybrids.

5. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    I caught up with Reuben (he says casually) after an open-air gig with Joshua Redmond and Tony Sanchez about half an hour ago. He told me what Mark said, an old Czech bass with heaps of repairs, it really looks ... old ... in a beat up sense!

But such a beautiful sound. I spoke to the engineers about the sound, probably the best amped bass sound I've ever heard. You could virtually hear the air coming from the bass, a lovely dark breathy growl, but a growl from the wood, not the fingerboard.

He was using a mix between the Realist and an AMT mic about 1" from, and pointing at ,the bass foot of the bridge. Helicores.

I took some photos (below), but it was very dark and this one from Reubens site also shows the bass & shows the wars its been through and STILL sounds great

http://www.reubenrogers.com/assets/photos/road/FlyingTheFriendlySkies.jpg

David Gage now looks after the bass.

It was a great trio gig. Amazing talent all three of them! They all had such fun playing, so good. gush gush gush :)

Worth coming to Toronto just for this!

Attached Files:

6. awesome man. thanks for the pics. yea i had a blast at a similar gig in LA

7. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    Del-Fee-Oh Marsalis quintet opened the gig, with David Pulphus on bass ... problem was, it was a rental bass and the thing rattled and wouldn't stay in tune. He struggled through to the end but nearly gave up on it ... Should have brought his own!

8. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    The other night he played the festival I'm working and used a provided GK MB150. I'm sure the SWR was also a provided amp.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021