1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reunion Blues RBB4 Gig Bag/case club

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassman_al, Dec 12, 2011.

1. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Hey all,
    I love my new RB case, I wanted to start a club. No numbers, just share your experience, good or bad, with this gig bag.

Mine seems a little more wobbly when in its natural "waiting to go in the car" position on the ground.

Other than that, its a keeper!

I did a search before posting this. If there is already a thread of this nature, let me know and I'll delete this one.

Al

2. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    I know it is a bit unusual to have a club for a case or gig bag, but this case is really something special. Anyone else out there agree? Or disagree? I know there are a lot of people on this forum looking for a good alternative to hard cases (too bulky/heavy, dont secure the instrument well) and standard gig bags (don't provide enough protection). This thread might help them out.

Here is a pic of mine, strapped to my "rig on wheels" complete with homemade dolly. Not pretty, nor financially practical as I think the separate parts from Home Depot probably ran me as much as buying an assembled version, but what the heck. It was fun to make! Anyhow, loving the RB gig bag!

This pic reminds me that I need to get rid of the safety warning tags on those bungee cords!

6537922221_598274beb2_b.
    Rig mod by alanpachter, on Flickr

3. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Just missed out a local deal on CL locally for an as-new RB gig bag for $40! I couldn't believe it! Guy responded before me scooped it up! Deal of the year on DC CL!

4. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I just got one and like all gig bags, some good, some bad imho. My complaints:

- the zippered pocket on the back of the top is useless. They should have just left it off and saved money

- the main pocket needs 2 zippers. In order to get an ipad out you have to zip all the way from one side to 2/3 of the way open. Most every other bag uses 2 zippers which is much quicker/easier

- the zippers tend to get a little stuck unless you run them at a particular angle. It might break in more but out of the box it is the most hesitant zipper of my bags (Mono and Protec)

The good - seems like it provides good protection. I got it to use for flying - should qualify for overhead compartment but if it gets gate checked it *hopefully* is tough enough to protect the bass.

Beyond that I'm not using it for day to day. To be honest my Protec is a lot easier to live with due to the dual zippers and pocket design.

5. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    I agree on all points but I also prefer not to load my case with accessories. I use my backpack for that since I wear that on my back.

The long zipper pocket that runs along the back of the neck is perfect for a spare strap.

6. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I don't need a spare strap, plus I have Dunlop recessed straplocs on a 4" wide leather strap. Won't fit.

Every gig bag I have contains:

ear protection
    multi-tool
    flashlight
    pen/pencil
    biz cards
    9V batteries
    ipad (all my charts)
    strap

While I can fit that into the RB, it isn't nearly as convenient as either my Mono or Protec. imho the rear top pocket is a total waste. And why they didn't put a double zipper on the main compartment I'll never know. That alone is enough to make me not want to use it daily.

I generally don't bring a backpack on load-in. For small gigs I'll often have a pair of cables in the gig bag, amp in its own bag. So it is cab, amp bag, music stand with bass on my back (one-trip carry or cart depending on the gig). For gigs where I'm using my pedal board, cables live there. Backpack has mics, spare cables, and only shows up when I have to have those things, otherwise stays in the car.

Everyone has their own biases and ways they like to work. But I'm hauling my stuff in and out of gigs about a dozen times a month. I have it down to a routine, and don't want the bag to get in my way. Would love "v2" of the bag with those changes.

7. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    This makes a lot of sense! All your points about the bag make perfect sense, and the reasoning for your assessment based on your needs are also very valid! Thanks a lot for the input, I am sure it will help a lot of other bassists decide whether this bag is for them or not.

By the way, I tried to look up Protec just to check them out. Their website gives no love to their bass bags, not on that site at all! Very surprising and disappointing. In fact, it was really hard in general, doing a Google search, to find any info on them at all. But the pics that were linked to posts on TB were very helpful in getting an idea of what their system is all about.

And your testimony also is helpful. Sounds like a great bag! I love the clip on extra backpack concept. Very good design idea.

8. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Kind of a cool ending to the CL listing story in post #3 of this thread. Turns out the guy who bought it off of the CL listing was hoping to use it for a 6 string. Didn't fit, so he was nice enough to call the seller to talk about options. Seller immediately contacted me to see if I was still interested. He hooked me up with the buyer, who then sold it to me for the same price even though he knew it was worth much more. His reason? Wanted to pass on the good karma. Turns out the bag belonged to the dad of the original CL seller. Dad had died and the seller decided to keep his dad's basses, but sell the bag so that someone else could get good use out of it. So I'll be using it with the original owner looking after me at every gig. Even though I never knew the guy or his son, I feel their presence. Its a great thing to be a bass player.

I love a good real world feel good story, especially one connected with CL, which gets a bad rap (from me included).

I sold one of my other cases on CL for $20, so total out of pocket for this gem was only $20. I'm sure I could get $150 shipped for it here on CL, but I'm not going to. No way.

Have a great day everyone.

9. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    One follow-up to previous thread: I listed a Mackie 12-channel mixer on CL last night for $20. Got it here on TB in a trade for my Korg PX4B. The Mackie works fine for me, but it's old and has a modded power supply. Power cord is permanently soldered to the inside of the mixer after original power supply went bad. So it ain't pretty but works fine. I used it only for silent practice but don't need it anymore since I got a Shuttle 6.0 which has headphone jack and aux in for silent practice.

Listed the Mackie for $20. Got a buyer lined up for tomorrow morning. If that goes through then this RB bag will have cost me $0!

10. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Gonna bump this up and claim my non-number! Just got my bag today and I've already fallen in love with it. I've been using the same Roadrunner gig bag for the past 5 years, so this is a major step up, both in protection and storage. I have a feeling I'll be using this one for much longer than 5 years!

11. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    NicJim, I am sure you will love it. I use both of mine all the time. Font miss the original cases at all. Still have a generic poky foam case too. It's a little lighter but nowhere near as protective.

12. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Hey all wanted to post a possible warning. Recently I noticed some odd scratches in my MIM sunburst body, on the bottom part of the body, the "butt" if you will. I could not figure out where they could be coming from, and I thought for sure that they were not there when I bought the body a couple years ago. Yesterday I realized that the scratches are in the area that contacts the interior of the RB case. That portion of the case has a rougher feel to it, although I had always assumed that RB qc had thought of the possibility that the interior material needed to be gentle enough for all finishes. Now it could be that my MIM finish is just wimpy MIM quality, but still, I thought I should post that I now have a felt polishing cloth in that area of the case for added protection.

For these prices, there should be no modifications necessary.

Any ideas out there or similar experiences? Am I nuts to think that the interior of the case could be damaging the finish?

13. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    First I heard of that Bassman_Al...

Can you send me some pictures I would love to let the RB guys know about it...

14. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Late to the party, but in addition to nostatic's points, with which I'm in agreement, I'm not stoked on the shoulder straps. They are too low on the case so using them results in the case sitting really high over your head. I don't use them, which is a shame because that's one of the reasons I prefer gig bags to cases.

Also, I believe there's a video on the Reunion Blues website of them dropping the case off of a 2nd story roof...replete with a bass in tow. I don't see too many bass players replicating this, but pretty cool nonetheless.

15. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Slap, sure ill send some pics. Checked my other J bass tonight. It lives in the other RB case I have. Similar scuffs to a lesser degree. Probably because it mostly rests in the upright position, travels far less, and is a USA bass so maybe a tougher finish (?) on it?

16. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Duh, Slap is Jason! I forgot! My basses are still loving the GHS Brite Flats and Pressurewounds I bought from you last year. You are awesome! So free plug here for you!

17. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    hehe thanks! I have been working with them a lot and I know they value feedback!