1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reusing beatle bass strings??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ayden Bongiovi, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Ayden Bongiovi

Ayden Bongiovi

Feb 19, 2019
    So I had a rogue violin bass, and I traded in towards the Hofner and I had some new la Bella’s on the rogue, could I take them off and put them on the hofner? I’d much rather do this than spend another 40 bucks!

2. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    If both basses have the same scale length I cannot see any reason why not.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Labellas aren't always easy to restring a second time but if you can get them to stay on and not break, why not? Worst that happens is one of them breaks and you have to buy a new set.

4. Yes, it can be done. Just be careful with the coiled end off of the tuner post by not trying to straighten them too much. Those ends are skinnier than normal and can be fragile.

iiipopes likes this.
  5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    I agree with michael_t...mostly. You might get some grief from both ends of the strings, though. If the strings aren't the actual La Bella 760FHBB or 760FHB2 "Beatle Bass" strings, you may have difficulty with the ball ends being a little bigger than the Hofner tailpiece likes. The real "Beatle Bass" sets have smaller ball ends, that Hofners do like. As for the tuner end of the strings? Some trimming might be in order. I have a Rogue VB-100 - an old, MIK version - and it has real bass tuners on it. I imagine yours does, too. So, you may find that those strings are a little too long, when wound around the little guitar-style tuner posts on the Hofner. But, this is minor stuff... Yeah, you should be able to move them over to the Hofner - just be deliberate, methodical - and careful...:cool:

michael_t likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 5, 2021