1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

reusing strings???????

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hoppusandriano, Jan 4, 2007.

1. hoppusandriano

hoppusandriano

Jan 1, 2007
    i heard somewhere that if you boil your used bass strings in salt water or just plain water they'll be close to new...is this just a myth or does it actually work?

2. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    totally true ...the metal expands and all the crud between the roundwounds falls out. I used to also add some washing up liquid at the same to remove the grease build up. The thing is that although you get the zing back to your strings it only lasts a gig which is what used to do when i was a poor student.

3. I wouldn't say it makes them almost new but it does get some zing back in them for a while and makes em shinier. I've never heard of using salt water before - sounds too currosive to me, but I didn't learn much in chemistry. If your not sure about what washing liquid to use or whatever some regular vineger is a simpler way to go. I think most people do that. Just remember to wrap them up in paper towles once you take them out.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Yea. You can boil them or wash them in hot water with a little simple green in the washing machine. Gotta make sure you dry them real good or theyll corrode a bit. I love the new string feel and sound and play way too many shows to replace them as much as I'd like. Ive been doing this for a couple years with no ill effects. Its saved me mucho cash

Rob

5. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    I just throw my old strings in with my dirty undies...
    makes them sound funky

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I soak mine in denatured alcohol, and reuse the alcohol. Saves me like $32.50 every month.