Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Revbersing polarity on pickup = reverse wound pup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Minger, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Wondering if this would work, because Hambone suggested it...hmmm

Because on my SX the bridge pup isn't reverse wound - so its not hum cancelling in any sense (which drives me nuts on my amp, because its such a quiet environment; on my friends Ampeg at church I don't even hear it)

2. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Nope, but it will do something. I'll be out of "phase" (polarity) with the other pickup. The sound will be kinda nasal. Ever play a bass with a phase switch?? Old Carvin, Peavey T-40?? That is what it'll do.

Lee

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    O well then.

The noise isn't that bad and its not even noticible when I'm on my friend's Ampeg at church, so I don't mind...and its not as bad as my friend's guitar there, whose amp's feedback is more than enough for me.

4. for two coils to be humcancelling they have to be out of phase (what I mean by that is the start of the coil is the hot in one pickup and the end of the coil is the hot on the other pickup) and also reverse polarity of the magnets. You can achieve out of phase by simply swapping the leads. Reverse polarity of the magnets, if they are alnico you can use a neodyum magnet to re-magnetize them. Use a small ceramic first to find out if they already are.