Revenge of the Son of PATRIOT

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 10, 2003.

Now, see, this bill--that's fascist. The waiver of the requirement to publish materials safety data sheets, on the grounds of national security, smells particularly rank--never mind the at-will deportations.

Of course, I'm sure there are some here who would say that this bill will Protect America's Children, but I don't know if it'd be worth it to live in a country that allows secret arrest. I'm willing to accept a few minor terrorist incidents a year in exchange for civil liberties. I'm not gonna move to another country, though--that's pussy and narcissistic.
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    nice. "your papers please"...
  3. My mouth is still stuck open.

The fact that anything like this was even brought up (I don't mean by you Pete; I mean by the government) is truly laughable and pathetic.

Originally posted by Pete McFerrin
    I'm not gonna move to another country, though--that's pussy and narcissistic.

Pete, I'm kinda dissapointed in you. You are WAY smarter than that. That sounds like the kind of phrase the so-called "jock boys" are legendary of saying. "Pussy" and "Narcissistic"? I guess I'm not a "man" then (whatever that means)? TOO BAD, WHO CARES.

That type of macho-complex is for people who think physical strength (which comes from a feeling of weakness) is power.

"Narcissistic?" Yes, I DO believe a nation that would even think of bringing this type of BS up has some serious flaws. A "Patriot" Act? That is just laughable even by the sound. LOL.

I 100% agree with everything else you said.

I sent you a PM.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ....'twas the summer of '84....
  5. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Don't worry, I'm sure the innocent have nothing to fear....

Yes kids, that's sarcasm...
  6. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    I think that that bill will just reverse on itself as did Affirmative Action...

It is a great idea, but there are going to be those that twist and mold to fit their own political agenda.

But thats just me...
  7. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    I have thought to myself, since the first patriot act, at what point are the liberties we are giving up, too high a price to pay for the extra(so called IMO) protection. I am in complete agreement with the statement written above, but when you read it, (a few minor terrorist incidents) it just seems surreal.

If you don't hear from me for awhile, I've probably been secretly arrested. I wonder if Ashcroft has anybody on double secret arrest even as I write this.:spit:
  8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think we have passed that point. to be honest, i think the response here in the states has been too extreme, caving in for public demands to "feel safe, at any expense". note i said "feel" safe, not "be" safe.

the terrorists held the planes hostage and captive with the _threat_ of a bomb. nobody thought they would actually crash the plane. that's a one trick pony right there. the u.s. government didn't have to do _anything_ to stop that - nobody will ever fall for the " i have a bomb in the suitcase" stunt again. anybody who gets up and tries to take over a plane with a boxcutter is going to get his ass kicked by the passengers - they have every reason now to think that the bastard will end up crashing the plane.

that's the extent of the terrorist attack on the u.s. - a one-off clever trick. even there, the passengers were catching on by the 4th plane. some of the stuff that's happened since then with airport security has become, imo, a bit too excessive.
  9. Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    This scares me and I am not even sure what this act fully entails. I don't feel safer with the thought of secret arrests and easy to get wire tap permission, in fact I feel less safe. I don't see how any of this will stop any person or persons who has a desire to cause terror from not doing so. Say a person, lets call him Bob and lets say he is from this country, wishes to blow up something. Explosives aren't that hard to get to and I'm not talking about making them. You can buy them, not dynamite or c-4 (well I suppose with the correct licenses and such you could) but simple explosives like gun powder or black powder. Its cheap and dirty but it works. How does this stop someone from coming in to this country and blowing something up? Are we not allowing people to vacation here anymore or are we limiting the number through the door?
    I'll stop now before I totally froth at the mouth. Someone let me know if I have completely missed what this is about.
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This whole thing kinda reminds me of how everyone freaked out about the severe drug problems (largely as a result of Columbian cartels and the popularity of crack) of the 80's and how the gov't responded by giving Federal law enforcers a lot of similar types of liberties as those in this new act. These kinds of liberties, while responsible for the arrests of many bad people, eventually came to be widely abused by US Marshalls, the FBI and the CIA, who used their newfound freedom for many things outside of "the war on drugs" including kidnapping former Nazi leaders out of South America and gunning down modern day skinheads. It all makes for an interesting story but the excesses became too much and were eventually reformed under Bush and then Clinton. This seems kinds cyclical. Same song different words.

brad cook
  11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, that's what i meant. folks think they aren't safe and they think these measures will make them safe. who is leading them to think that? ;)
  12. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    You can download this document (DSEA) in .pdf format here