Reverb 0 for 2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by daveyo, Jun 23, 2021.

1. daveyo

daveyo

Nov 6, 2013
    I don’t know about buying on reverb anymore I bought two bases in the last three months
    PV fury I bought was really cheap but it’s a good sounding base and needed some work so I put the work into it ,didn’t
    Bother to return it I just fixed it
    Now I just received a MI am Fender Jazz bass
    With funky screws holding the bridge together and a completely stripped truss rod
    Anybody else have these problems?
    Sending the space back ASAP
    What a waste of my time

DJ Bebop and Nuage420 like this.
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    From the same seller?

3. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    That’s why you don’t buy used stuff. Oh but I found this pawn shop gem or this killer bass for cheap. Yeah yeah. I once caught a 100 pound sturgeon on a 20 pound test.

buy new and save yourself the hassle of dealing with reverb scammers. Or at least buy from a store if you buy used.

4. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Not every seller on Reverb is a scammer. I've bought quite a few things and haven't had to file a complaint yet. Obviously, YMMV.

Buying new is a legit avenue, but some of us are interested in stuff that has been out of production for a long time - OP's Peavey Fury being a good example - where one has no choice but to buy used, and it's a luck of the draw whether it ends up coming from a store or from a private seller.

5. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Bought at least 40 basses through reverb. Only issue I ever had was a seller’s misrepresentation of a soft case (not a gig bag) as a hardshell case.

Communicating with the seller is very easy on Reverb and so is getting additional pictures.

All I can add is don’t let the excitement of the sale and obtaining the item advertised cause you to scrutinize any less than you would when purchasing a bass in person.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  6. dangevans

dangevans

Mar 26, 2014
    Please. BASS, not "Base".:banghead:

7. jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Nothing better than Reverb.
    Seven basses from seven different sellers, most of them nearly impossible to find anywhere else.
    Just bad luck for you.
    Happens to people no matter where you buy, even Sweetwater.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I dunno. I've bought from Reverb more than a few times with no trouble.

You do need to have some communication skills and also ask some questions just to make sure.

9. I've played here in Peru quite a bit, a drummer years ago used to pronounce 'bass' like the fish because the letter A only has one sound in Spanish, 'ah' like our short A. I corrected him repeatedly "Its Bass (long A) not bass (short A) bass is a pescado (fish), and the band joke became 'Bob got your pescado?' Bob don't forget your pescado, Maybe you had to be there?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    BAG, soulstew, thunesBARROW and 34 others like this.
  10. jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    My friend recently started playing.
    Wanted something with a piezo pickup.
    He insists on pronouncing it wrong.
    Every time he says pie zo, I correct him without actually telling him he's saying it wrong, merely by saying it properly.
    I swear, he must've said it half a dozen times this past Saturday and I corrected him half a dozen times. Not once did he ask me why I was pronouncing it differently.
    The funniest thing is, when he says it, he always seems to put great stress on his pronunciation, like some people do when using certain new words they're unfamiliar with, his voice actually gets a bit louder.
    This has happened the last three or four times we've spoken.
    It's getting to the point where I want to send him one of these.
    Screenshot-20210624-104050-Samsung-Internet.jpg

11. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I've had great luck on Reverb. If you get something in a condition other than what was specified in the ad, open a claim.

12. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    I’ve sold and purchased many basses, pedals, straps, cables, pick ups, amps, and cabs on reverb. I’d say the site has accounted for nearly all of my music related sales and purchases for the last 4 years.

I’ve had ZERO issues.

That being said I do have some advice that will hopefully make your life easier going forward.

1) Never make a purchase from a private seller without starting a conversation. (especially if they don’t have any reviews)
    ask anything that’s on your mind. Even if the bass looks and says it’s in perfect condition. Ex: Have you ever adjusted the truss rod? Are they’re any small blemishes on the neck? Are the pots silent or do they crackle when making adjustments?

2) Pay attention to how and where they took the pictures and what the pictures are of. In my listings there is usually at least a dozen shots, some full shots but mostly close ups of the important areas. If someone can’t take the time to get clean, quality, and accurate photos I’d be hesitant.

3) I almost always go with preferred reverb sellers with solid reviews, can’t always go that route but it’s a safe bet.

Sorry you’ve had a stroke of bad luck and hopefully you’ll be on the upswing now

ahbradot, 4SG, spatters and 1 other person like this.
  13. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    Sorry OP that you had the two bad deals. But I have to agree with most of the replies here. I think I've only ever owned one bass that was brand new. I've boughten many basses on Reverb (and from Talkbass, from eBay, from private sellers, and in stores) and only ever had one problem that turned out to be an eBay deal where the wrong bass was shipped (the one I received had a cracked block inlay, the seller swapped it out without delay).

I know it sucks to be on the receiving end of a bad deal, but two bad deals among the thousands and thousands of other transactions that have gone good doesn't make the outlet bad. It's just more-or-less bad luck.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely scammers and other assorted turds out there. But they are the exception rather than the rule, and they can crop up in any outlet, online, brick-n-mortar, and otherwise. My own experience has been that Reverb is a good place to buy stuff, and as with any other purchase anywhere else it's "buyer beware", communicate well, and walk away from anything that seems sketchy, greasy or too good to be true.

Here's to hoping your next deal will the best ever! :bassist:

14. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    So far, Reverb is 8/8 for me.

I actually sold a guy a pedal on reverb, only to have him file a claim (amicably) because apparently it quit working. This was last christmas, I only recently got it fixed. Apparently a wire at on the switch had gotten pinched or something.
    I hate that I was 'the jerk', but it was working during my 30 second test before listing. (Edit: I also wish he'd have let me paypal him the return shipping, but he was pretty friendly about the whole situation)

I'm just trying to think how many times I'd have to get burned on reverb in a row before I'd financially 'break even' with having bought new. So far, I think I've saved about 600 bucks.

This is, of course, just my 60,000 cents.

15. Forget it, my drummer friend here who I still see sometimes still pronounces it like the fish. 18 years. :laugh:

spatters and jd56hawk like this.
  16. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Suspended Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    When I buy used I make sure I've got pics of every part, every angle, etc. I ask every question imaginable, but mostly I tend to buy used or B stock from stores I can return to without the hassle that Reverb puts us through now. ProAudioStar, Prymaxe, MusicStoreLive tend to have competitive B stock prices. And you can just skip Reverb and buy direct.

Like a lot of sites that used to be pretty OK, ownership and the people running it have cemetery bungled things n

17. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Do you get push back on that from individual sellers. Buyers that want 100% detailed descriptions and pics of everything set off alarm bells with me of the partial refund type for "item not as described". So I tend to thank them for their interest and wait for the next person.

DrMole and spatters like this.
  18. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Suspended Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Usually no, and with 1000 positive feedback there and 1660+ positive on eBay, I prefer buyers to ask. If they don't ask, they can't bitch.

Dominic DeCosa likes this.
  19. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    40…!!? Care to buy 41…? I really got my eye on something….;)

20. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    I mean when you ask for every angle as a buyer.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021