1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

reverb and bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by michaelsin, Aug 6, 2007.

1. michaelsin

michaelsin

Jul 8, 2007
    do these two go together? i notice there is no specific 'bass reverb' pedal. does it matter? or do all reverb pedals work with bass as well as guitar? i was looking at the holier grail and the boss rv5a. does anyone have any experience in this matter?

2. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    Sure.
    No.
    If it has a 1/4 jack, then it should - why wouldn't it?
    No.

3. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I like reverb on bass, I should get one sometime.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Reverb on bass is nice. Very short delay is better.:smug:

5. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    If you are shopping for a reverb pedal, also look at the Line 6 Verbzilla...

6. Doesn't EBS do a bass-specific one? I like a bit of 'verb, but the natural reverb of the room I'm playing in is usually enough(& oftentimes more than enough). I think reverb is not often added to bass as it is prone to muddying up the clarity.

7. I personally don't think it's useful at all unless you're doing a very tic-tac sort of sound.

8. Not really. Their DynaVerb could be used with any instrument, though most of their pedal endorsers are bass players. It's quite a subtle reverb, btw. I'm thinking of selling mine for something I find more versatile and usable.

You're probably on to something there, and personally, I've never found a need/use for reverb in a band setting.

9. four2oh

four2oh

Mar 29, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    personally, i love running reverb on my effects "follower" chain which is 2-octaves up and blended back with my clean bass tone.

all i can say is stay away from the Danoelectro Spring King reverb.. even though it has a "kick pad" to get that "opps i dropped the box" effect, the springs or something inside tend to get stuck or something occasionally, which causes the reverb box to suddenly spit out some weird high pitch frequency. it can be kinda cool in a glitchy way, but it happens whenever i don't want it happen.. and doesn't seem to goaway until the pedal is powered off for a bit. really annoying and weird.

anyways, anyone recommend a good spring reverb or a digital one that emulates a decent spring box?

10. B3bopbass

B3bopbass

Apr 28, 2005
    The VanAmps Sole-Mate is a wonderful spring reverb, as long as you aren't put off by the large footprint.

11. Basdyret

Basdyret A Dane in China

Aug 6, 2007
    Qingdao, China
    Reverb is more commonly used on the fretless bass, and I find it almost always sounds great - for soloing it can be used with positive effects on the fretted sometimes as well.

I have an EBS DynaVerb which I think is great and inexpensive (I got in on sale for a hundred bucks), but the best stompbox reverb (not specifically) for bass is probably the T-Rex Roommate. You don't want any kind of spring reverb like the Van Amps Solemate on your bass' tone, that's for sure !

12. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm interested in 'verbing just the mids, or mids and highs of my bass tone. I'm sure I'll end-up with something, but I'm pretty sure that it'll have to be one inwhich I can really roll-off the low-end on the effect-part (like a low-CUT instead of SHELF). I wouldn't much-at-all like any verb on the lows (I'm thinking maybe like below a couple or few hundred Hertz).

In one of the demo records I'm on, there's a song inwhich we made a copy of the bass track, filtered it into a 'midrange-bump', and ran a pre-send. That way, the result was 'reverb on the mids only'. We mixed it in pretty subtle, but sounded great to me.

I imagine my rig'll eventually end-up with a little mixer console with Effects sends and channel EQs.

Joe

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Like any other effect for bass, reverb is best in small measures.

Plus one on the Verbzilla, and GC is blowing them out.

14. I like bass reverb, but only in solos.

15. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    The last time I said this, the dumbass OP didn't listen and kept asking stupid questions, so I'll only say it once.

If you're interested in reverb, try searching for the thread I made with a video demo of the Verbzilla. I also like the Digitech Digiverb, and the EHX Holy Grail PLUS has sparked my interest (only the HG Plus, though).

16. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    the Verbzilla is one of the few pedals i've returned after trying. it's very versatile and it has lots of great settings, but the sound of the actual effect didn't appeal to me.