1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reverb article: End of the "Female Bassist".

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Danomo, Feb 13, 2016.

1. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    GOod article. Double edged sword though because I suspect that part of the success of some of these modern women bassists is based on the fact that they are women. I'm not saying that they were bad bassists only promoted because they were women. I'm saying that part of their appeal as talented bassists lies in the fact that as women, they are so-called "novelties" in the music world and this is part of their whole promotional shpiel. Could be wrong about that, but I don't see the people like Spalding, Wilkenfeld et al complaining about their good press, part of which pumps up the "female bassist" aspect. Hope that made sense because it was hard to get my point out in writing.

Danomo likes this.
  2. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    To me a man, woman or other gendered musician doesn't matter. What music/energy they deliver is where it's at.

Oldschool94 and Danomo like this.
  3. Danomo

Danomo Guest

Apr 25, 2013
    Daughter #2, who sings and plays piano (but not together), has been reluctant to embrace the Jazz and fusion I've tried to introduce her to. After reading this today, I played her some Esperanza and Tal videos (don't know why I hadn't before), and now she's hooked.

Female Bassist is what interested her.

I now realize the Jazz I have trying to ease her into was MY jazz... All guys, old guys, dead guys, who are hard for her to identify with.

Bajo Clarkko and Oldschool94 like this.