1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reverb.com? Trustworthy or not?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ritchie_Darling, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Ritchie_Darling

Ritchie_Darling Bass @ AZ Supporting Member

May 22, 2006
    Arizona
    Impulse buyer...
    I have zero experience with this company.

However, I am considering a purchase.

Are these guys trustworthy or not?

Just curious.....

2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

There are some deals to be had, but for the most part the prices are insane, as are most of the shipping rates. Its actually not a retailer, but a clearinghouse of sorts for anyone who wants to sell there for a 3% fee. That's why the prices are all over the place. I've also seen some pretty beat up gear and MANY refurbs being sold as new there. Much of it is perfectly fine but there is a lot of junk to parse through.

Acoustic356 likes this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Well, Reverb is kind of like a specialized ebay - that is, you have to ask yourself whether you trust the overall setup as well as the individual dealer your buying from. They do have a similar ratings systems as well. I've used it with no problems for a couple of big ticket items (from reputable dealers I researched before bidding).

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yeah, prices can get nuts, as I said, know the dealer, Reverb is just a esales auction platform / service like ebay or alibaba or even amazon.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Sellers have ratings just like here. I've bought and sold there without issues.

6. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    I bought one of their 20' cables for 9 bucks. I like it. No issues with the transaction.

7. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    A $9 cable. I'm going to wager that most $9 transactions go fine...its the bigger ones you have to worry about.

8. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Yeah, who knew? Buyer beware.

vmabus likes this.
  9. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    I've had no issues buying and selling on Reverb. I've sold at least three guitars there. There are deals there if you're patient. Don't be afraid to click the Make an Offer button. I've found most people are willing to haggle. I much prefer the haggling system of the bidding system.

10. JFOC

JFOC

Oct 23, 2010
    new hampShire
    Ive bought some pedals & browse it pretty regularly.

As said above check out who the seller is if you have any doubts

11. danoverb

danoverb

Apr 9, 2015
    Staff member at Reverb.com
    Dan here from Reverb HQ. I just want to point out that we back and guarantee every sale on the site. If you have any concerns about a particular listing or seller, don't hesitate to reach out and we're happy to look into it. Thanks!

BigDanT, drumsnbass and vmabus like this.
  12. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I'm checking out a bass there now... if it's still available by the end of the month I might jump on it. If I do, I'll update my experience here

13. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    As someone who buys and sells on Reverb, it really isn't much different than eBay, or the classifieds here for that matter. I do agree that some sellers have some of their stuff overpriced, but that seems to be the case everywhere nowadays. As a seller, I had to set up a "store" so it makes it look like I'm a dealer...although I'm not. I'm just a guy who likes to buy and sell stuff (see my feedback here). Selling on Reverb is a lot cheaper than eBay, but like anywhere, you just need to know what questions to ask and have know your prices. There are deals to be had...and there is some cool stuff out there. I have also found the Reverb group is great to deal with and it's refreshing to actually talk to a live person if you have an issue.

14. Jose Best

Jose Best

Jan 5, 2018
    What do you think about musicians' friend, I just bought a digitech tuner from them. Loved it for two days and then it started bugging out ,also I thought I was buying a new product and received used item. It as not stated!

15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Musiciansfriend is a multi billion dollar conglomerate of retailers. You should contact them if there's an issue with a purchase.

16. Jose Best

Jose Best

Jan 5, 2018
    Thanks for the reply. It's so frustrating because I'm willing to pay for reliable equipment.

17. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I've bought 2 basses on there, my Stingray 5 and a Squier VM P5. I love the Stingray, but I returned the Squier. I had no issues on reverb's end. I got a hell of a deal on the Stingray as well.

I sold an Ibanez bass on there for more than I was getting nibbles at here, deal went off without a hitch.

18. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    And you should be getting reliable equipment from Musicians Friend.

That's what their return policy is for.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Reverb is great and the prices are not always high. It is such a highly traffic'd site that the well priced stuff often sells hours after it is listed. See my signature for my FB group where I continuosly post links to well priced gear on the internet, Reverb included, often hours after it is listed.

20. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I've been perfectly happy with my experiences on Reverb as both a seller and buyer. No issues whatsoever.