1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reverb for bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pantone 333, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I sort of figured this thread would consist of 1 post saying: Strymon Blue Sky. Full Stop

Seriously, lots of great options out there, and I've owned a few. Nothing offers the sound quality, adjustability and "vibe" of the blue sky. The Big Sky is amazing, way more than a 'reverb' pedal. Same with the Flint. Had one, LOVED it, but ultimately needed more adjustability from the reverb. I'd buy another one though. and if you're also looking for tremolo, thats a one stop shop.

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Here is a recording with just the reverb on the Flint at a more subtle setting but with a long decay.

"Bass Noodle #1203" Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2016 All rights reserved.

Attached Files:

Deltatim and Pantone 333 like this.
  3. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    While I love the Nimbus SE, I wouldn't call it a bouncy verb like the OP is after.

I would look for a decent spring reverb emulator that lets you tweak the verb EQ to cut some lows.

Edit: If you are into the expensive boxes look at the Empress Reverb. Lots of tweak ability and contouring. This thing sounds beautiful, and made in Canada ;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    blindrabbit and static0verdrive like this.
  4. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Trinity, FL
    i have my Digitech Lexicon Supernatural Ambient Reverb ( stereo or mono ) in our Classifieds ...

it is very cool and slightly eerie sounding .. !! and a good price for what it does .. !

5. Bassmaticmatt

Bassmaticmatt

Feb 13, 2016
    Dallas
    I don't think my band mates notice any of my effects. With the exception of overdrive. I notice the difference in sound. And that's all i care about.

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  6. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    @Bassmaticmatt those fools are playing dumb instruments, they don't know the genius of what you're playing. Bass is a thankless job. Don't let it get to you. :)

sillyfabe, Pantone 333 and BassManKK like this.
  7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I've researched and tried every reverb pedal I could ever get my hands on.

For straight ahead optimized "just reverb" for baritone and bass instruments, it begins and ends with the Iron Ether Nimbus IMO. It was specifically designed for bass and has an interesting control set and some unique features. This one is a part of my permanent collection. You can download the manual here. The standard model is $215. The special edition with some additional features is $245. (Note: be prepared to wait. Iron Ether is a small pedal maker so occasionally you'll need to put yourself on the waiting list for their next production run of a specific pedal. But trust me, they're well worth waiting for. )

Runners up are the Digitech Polara and the TC Electronics Hall of Fame. Both work really well with bass.

If you want to spend more serious money on a box that'll give you reverb plus a whole lot more take a look at the amazing stuff Strymon and Eventide are doing.

Pantone 333 likes this.
  8. JRA

JRA where did the time go? Supporting Member

couldn't tell you what "best" is! i don't even like posting in this effects forum: someone (in another thread/forum) said you guys were weird (maybe even crazy!) ha! :roflmao:

i use reverb and chorus sometimes for certain solos: i'm using an EH holy grail reverb pedal ($50 used on CL). works great and it's simple (for dummies like me!).

9. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    +1 to the EBS unit.
    The ones in the Line 6 HD500X here work well, at work a Behringer V-Amp 3(guitar pod) has a great one-knob reverb.

Behind a firewall so I can't post it but listen to the bass in Loverboy's "Turn Me Loose" as it has reverb on it, probably for filler and "you want to play arenas you got to sound like them" Mutt Lange mindset.
    EDIT 7:09 PM, firewall is down, everybody done gone home, see here's the video link

Reverb here gets used when we are 3 piece, during guitar solos sometimes, and if the original tune is recorded at a concert or has reverb on the bass. I called it filler in the comments above because it adds the HUGE or not-empty sound behind the vocal and guitarist for them to paint over.

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  10. JJR58

JJR58 "Big Angry Piano" Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Queens NY

I'm really diggin that Jeff, sounds wonderful, great playing!

Jeff Scott likes this.
  11. I'm currently using a Walrus Audio Descent - it goes from a medium reverb to a HUUUUUUGEEEEE hall reverb. Also does reverse reverb which I can a slapback style delay out of if I turn the time settings low. Has a a knob for dry/wet and does a shimmer reverb too, with an octave up and an octave down.
    It's all digital and definitely not cheap if you get it new - I managed to get it in a trade where I came out very much on top.

Ridiculously flexible pedal if you ask me. The one demo on YouTube isn't really all that comprehensive so maybe I'll get around to doing a demo video sometime.

blindrabbit likes this.
  12. SakuBass

SakuBass Lvl 50 Pixelpusher Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Turenki, Finland
    I use a Mad Professor Silver Spring reverb. Vintagey and awesome.

13. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    I really dig the EH Holy Stain, though I have found no use for the pitch shift feature and wish it wasn't there. Also wish I could get tremolo and verb simultaneously, but what it does do, it does well.

14. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    great sound Jeff! What bass is that? Sounds like what Piezos are supposed to sound like. Wondering if I'm close

15. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I use the EHX Nano Holy Grail

guitarflinger likes this.
  16. Blaargh

Blaargh

Apr 4, 2016
    I am completely in love with my Earthquaker Devices Afterneath- The only issue is that it can cause a little volume drop, unless you put it in your fx loop. It goes full crazy (cavernous, is probably the best word to describe it), but it can be normal if you want. I've tried putting a light overdrive after it to pick up all the teeny tiny grainy pits and it gets wild.

The EQD Transmisser is probably worth a look, especially if you want to get an exp pedal for it too. If I didn't already have an Afterneath I'd probably be on that straight away, it's an amazing modulated reverb type thing. Very swirly, very cool.

17. Best? Strymon big sky probably. But it's a huge pedal and overkill for most of us. The smaller less expensive strymon blue sky is on my list to get eventually. Everything I've heard with it sounds great and it has a favorites switch so you can basically have two settings at your feet without having to tweak knobs so it's kind of like having two reverb pedals on your board. neunaber makes some impressive reverbs in a smaller pedal. You've got companies like earthquaker devices who make reverbs that are more specialized. Be sure to check out the earthquaker devices afterneath and dispatch master for example. I've really been wanting to try the Mr black eterna gold and supermoon but havent yet. The eterna seems to be the fastest shimmer reverb on the market.

As for the mass produced crowd. I've owned the boss RV-6 and digitech polara. They both have their ups and downs. They have some great sounds but can't do the 100% wet shimmer like the high end stuff without plugging cables into different jacks which no one would really do. 100% wet reverb basically makes bass sound like a keyboard pad which is a useful sound for song intros, layering when looping, ambient stuff between songs live. The line 6 m5 was the pedal that really got me into using reverbs with bass. It can do the 100% shimmer (called the octiverb or something like that if I remember right) but it doesn't have modulated reverb which is probably my favorite reverb type. Others include the tc electronics hall of fame reverb, mxr reverb, ehx cathedral. Boss actually makes reverb pedals that are designed to mimic reverb in Fender amps if you want something closer to the vibe you were getting with that amp.

Also have to mention for a soloing tone with a little bit of ambience. A lot of people prefer using a delay as a reverb instead of an actual reverb pedal. On several newer delays with a mix/blend function you can do this. Janek Gwizdala uses his tc electronics nova repeater and tc flashback for this type of vibe. He does have a toneprint for the flashback for it called "sausage and beer". It's kind of a mix of reverb and delay. Most digital reverbs pretty much are really just a specialized type of delay. For example the earthquacker devices afterneath reverb is actually a series of delays.

Pantone 333 likes this.
  18. punisher911

punisher911

Jan 20, 2005
    Clawson, MI
    I like my Earthquaker Dispatch Master. Reverb and delay in one. Can dial in one or the other, or a combination of both.

Nephilymbass and maverick49 like this.
  19. maverick49

maverick49 Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Southern California
    +1 For the EQD Dispatch Master

20. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    LOOOVE me some spring reverb pre-dirt