Reverb for bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pantone 333, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. You should absolutely, definitely, without hesitation, purchase and use the one I have, because it is the best.

2. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I'm an outlier here, my vote is for the TC Electronic T2.
    (Admittedly, it's because it's the only reverb I've played a bass through, aside from a multi-effect pedal.)

But this thing is crazy. It's got a lot of really odd and atmospheric tones built in to it. But that's why I love it. I didn't want a basic reverb pedal. I could've gotten the TCE Hall of Fame, or any number of other pedals, if I wanted something more normal sounding. But I love the spacey-underwater-washing-wall-of-reverb this pedal can do on many different levels. Plus with the TonePrint option, I've got a nice, standard reverb right there if I need it. I'm becoming a big TC Electronic fan.

I will never use some of these reverb types. But I'm enjoying II, IV, VIII, E2 and I'm currently using Tal Wilkenfield's signature tone for the TP option.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Nephilymbass and triviani like this.
  3. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'll just say it since I haven't seen it yet (and if it's already been said sorry to repeat): Outboard reverb unit. Like those old school ones Fender made (and still reissues). You can kick them to get that big wash, and they sound great. The Danelectro Spring King also features an actual spring reverb in it, so you can hit it for those crazy explosion/surf sounds.

4. I use an alesis nanoverb, and it works pretty well as long as you set the input correctly so it doesn't brash out with that weird distortion stuff. Unless you like that kinda thing, which sometimes I do.

5. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    Unfortunately it does seem those kind of effects are for "top end" instruments, bass is a "bottom end" instrument that dwells in a range where it won't be heard live. On a recording, effects could make a big difference. I think.

6. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    FTFY

7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

OP - It depends on how it's used. I'll go with a tiny hint of reverb and a slight bit of very slow tremolo using one of the more unusual trems on the market. I run both in parallel and then mix them back in with the flat signal using a small line mixer. All it does with me is add a little extra motion and air such as you'd get with an acoustic instrument like an upright. It doesn't sound reverby at all. You probably wouldn't notice it unless I switched it off.

If you're into ambient spaces, I don't know what to suggest since I don't go there. But I'm guessing it would sound pretty muddy in ensemble as others have said.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Ellery likes this.
  8. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Keeley seems to have a good bunch of tailored reverbs, the Hooke or Abbey might what you are looking for, I have the Aurora, natural sounding larger spaces, but not cavernous, eq roll off sounds natural Not to be confused with Aurora the singer from Norway Keeley Reverb, Echo, and Delay Guitar Effects

9. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    REPORTED.

matante likes this.
  10. Thank you all for your input ... much appreciated. So far the two that really stick out for me are the:

- Iron Ether Nimbus
    - Strymon Flint

Alien8 likes this.
  11. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Just got a Solidgoldfx Surf Rider III. Only had it a day or so. Really liking it so far.

12. Yeah I typically only use oddball reverb types with the band. Modulated reverb and shimmer reverb mainly and during parts with either clean or lead type guitar. You're typical room, hall, etc is nice when your playing by yourself and want to make it sound like you're playing in a bigger space though. Also as with any effect you have to figure out where to use it. For example I like overdrive when guitar player is playing chunky power chord stuff. But if he's playing more lead type stuff I much prefer my fuzz pedal. Reverb works well in intros, bridges and pretty much parts where you want to bring the dynamics down so when you turn them off it's like a wall of sound hitting you in the face.

Ellery likes this.
  13. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    I will always recommend Iron Ether over the others. It's a fabulous pedal - does subtle well and gets just plain monstrous. Sits well in the mix.

Ironed Ether is also a great company, great customer care and support. Can't go wrong!

14. I'm more a fan of using a delay with short delay time and longer decay so it sounds like reverb, but if your pedal has multiple settings you can stomp for reverb then stomp for delay. Way more useful to me. Unless you really need reverb. But in a band setting it's a waste. You won't hear it as well.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  15. kartiste

kartiste

May 5, 2008
    I can't give you a product recommendation, but for "cavernous", I think you want something that puts delay on only the lows (around 250hz and below) and some flavor of reverb on the mids and highs without delay.

Pantone 333 likes this.
  16. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I thought this post was about selling a bass on Reverb.:woot:

allenhumble and kartiste like this.
  17. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Old Bridge, NJ
    I've used a BlueSky, MR. Black Eterna, EQD Ghost Echo, Dispatch Master, Avalanche Run and a SA Dimension. BlueSky was an absolute dream and I kind of regret getting rid of it, but having $300+ tied up in a reverb was difficult to justify. Eterna was simple and effective, shimmer is just not my thing. Ghost Echo I believe is a spring emulation (?) and was pretty sweet but it always had some inherent little delay going on. I personally loved the Dispatch Master and the Avalanche Run was an ambient dream. Currently I have the Dimension and IMHO think it is the best value, as well as one of the coolest pedals around and the E-Dome setting is absolutely massive although its spring settings get some mixed reviews.

Can you tell I like reverb?

18. kartiste

kartiste

May 5, 2008
    You must not believe in Dog.

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  19. lowplaces

lowplaces Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    valv1 (1).

One of these if you can find one

20. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

Dec 29, 2010
    NY
    Try the Afterneath by Earthquaker Devices. Not the run of the mill but really pretty cool. it will take time to understand, but won't take too long to enjoy it. I run it before my MXR Carbon Copy and get some crazy things happening... think ambient.