1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reverb for bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pantone 333, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Thanks, much! :cool: That was my Rickenbacker 4004L SPC using just the neck toaster played fingerstyle. The previous recording (#1234) is the same but played with a light pick.

J.Wolf likes this.
  2. torza

torza

Sep 20, 2005
    Yeah the sound is great! Not really a warm reverb sound, but it has a unique sound all its own. I haven't heard anything else like it, but I've only tried a handful

Nic. likes this.
  3. torza

torza

Sep 20, 2005
    I actually don't have that problem at all. The RV3 cuts through very well when used in an ambiant sense or subtly. It might be that the pedal is more on the treble side.

4. In the end I went with the Iron Ether Nimbus ... just ordered it:)

birdman14, karla684 and Alien8 like this.
  5. colantalas

colantalas

Mar 26, 2014
    I'm glad my choice turned up so early in the thread. RV-3 in a dual delay/reverb mode, playing with a pick on the upper register is "my" delay sound and my favorite use for it.

torza likes this.
  6. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    EarthQuaker Devices Avalache Run Stereo Delay and Reverb Pedal. Has stereo output, for both the delay and reverb. As well as tap tempo to match the beat.

TheLowDown33 likes this.
  7. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    There are probably better ones, but I have had my eyes on the Mooer Shim Verb and Mooer EchoVerb, the latter gives you the option of combining a reverb and delay simultaneously.

Also I once owned the EHX Cathedral reverb pedal, that one sounded beautiful and gives you a ton of options for different reverb sounds.

The Cathedral is probably what I would suggest you to look into.

Personally what I am going to acquire at some point for my delay and reverb needs is the Mooer Ocean Machine, it combines two programmable delays and one reverb, it's dead cheap considering all the options it gives you, but probably more than most people will ever need in that department.

More of an ambient/noise experiments kind of thing.

If all you need is just a spring reverb, I would personally try out the Danelectro DSR-1 Spring King, it's extremely cheap for an actual real spring reverb unit that is not just a digital emulation, but despite the low price I actually heard a lot of nice things about it.

NortyFiner likes this.
  8. jloftin1

jloftin1 Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Carrollton, Ga
    If you are patient the pitch shift will do an amazing detune type chorus some where around 1 o'clock and blend at half or less.

9. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    You won't be disappointed! The Nimbus has been a staple on my board since I first got it. It's one of the most natural sounding reverbs I've heard, and I love the HPF and LPF addition on it. I typically run the HPF at noon, and it keeps all the clarity I need while still sounding like a lush verb

Pantone 333 likes this.
  10. Seems like they may have updated the pedal. On Youtube videos, the Nimbus has a filter knob ... whereas on their website the filter has been replaced with separate treble and bass knobs.

11. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    +1 for the Spring King. A simple spring reverb tank, does what it does well and doesn't try to do anything else.

12. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Thats a very cool tone, I guess I'm not as familiar with the Rickenbacker tonal family tree :)

13. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    Yeah, the V2 has the separate knobs. I have that version, and I think it's a great addition versus the filer knob.

Pantone 333 likes this.
  14. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    There is a third version with an expression pedal input and trails too. The bass and treble controls really help shape reverb voice, but I am in so much more love with the expression control. It adjusts the level that the signal hits the reverb path which just has this amazing ability with the treble and bass to position the verb signal in the sound stage.

Pantone 333 likes this.
  15. So when you say you run the HPF at noon, which knob are you referring to?

16. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    The bass knob

17. Microcosm

Microcosm

Sep 14, 2006
    Indiana
    I have been digging the Eventide Space.

18. That Coyote

That Coyote Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Iron Ether Nimbus is a truly great reverb with low end in mind.

torza and Pantone 333 like this.
  19. I received the Iron Ether Nimbus today:) I hate for this to sound cliché, but this pedal sounds very organic. What the hell does that mean? Well, when I compare it to the reverb from my Fender Vibro-King (settings maxed), the pedal holds up and sounds like a genuine reverb tank. I bought it specifically for my basses, but I also plugged my Tele through it and WOW! For those of you that chimed in, I very much appreciate the suggestion for this pedal.

20. When I used effects live, I had an Alesis MidiVerb in my rack. Had a hundred presets, and a hundred programable slots. I could combine reverb and chorus and delay, and a few other special effects (like reverse reverb, flange, phase shift...). It was cheap and you could even program the signal chain and EQ.

All I really used it for was was a fretless sound (chorus, delay, reverb), and a slap tone (short gated reverb, bright EQ).

lowplaces likes this.