Reverb for famous bass player

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chalie, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Does most bass players using reverb while performing outdoor.

Which is a good bass reverb.
  2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    most bass players don't use reverb at all. there is a thread somewhere in here where people went to great lengths why.

dub bass players, apparently, do use reverb, and to great effect.

inexpensive units to look at are the digitech digiverb, boss rv-5, and...honestly, other units escape me at the moment.

i hope i answered your question, partially. :oops:
  3. Thanks for your thought.
    I doubt if they were using that but most of the sound engineer told me that they will run the bass signal through the same sound enhancing system of PA as other signals and reverb is part of that.
    I was performing frequenly on a small outdoor stage and I was always mixing chorus sounding with the bass signal but no PA used for me as the area is not big. I do not have any reverb to try so I was wodering if it is better to use it in this regard.
    Thanks for your advice
  4. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    reverb on the bass frequencies can equal "mud" really quickly. if used judiciously and intelligently it can work. for example, bass solos or when the bass is the dominate instrument. just my 2 pennies.
  5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Reverb is great in Stereo through the P.A.;
    IF the lows are not boosted and the tone is mid-heavy.
    I've used a Boss SE-50 with good results.
  6. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    I've noticed over the years that many famous jazz players typically have a reverb as one of their effects, example, Alphonso Johnson
  7. faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    If you want to have some real fun try a distortion/fuzz into a volume pedal into a reverb pedal. I would recommend a Boss RV3 or Malekko Chicklet/Spring Chicken.
  8. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Reverb on bass is great, any good reverb is a good bass reverb.