Reverb/Fuzz pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bill Murray, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Bill Murray

Bill Murray

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    I’ve owned my fair share of pedals and after lots of experimenting I discovered I really only utilize a few sounds, Reverb/Delay and Fuzz (occasionally overdrive). I’ll use these individually or simultaneously to create a synth vibe.

I know there are options like the FM3, HX Stomp, etc but I’m wondering is there a pedal out in the wild that is dedicated to being a fuzz/reverb? Something that operates as a 2:1?

I have a stomp currently and it’s perfect for practice and recording but would enjoy something easier to adjust during live performances.

Bassaga likes this.
  2. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. May I suggest that unless you have no real preference for a certain type of fuzz sound and/or reverb sound and related functionality (controls, interface, etc.), then this idea is a false optimization.

Even if you are not a reverb aficionado, most players who use fuzz are at least somewhat particular about their fuzz sound. If you are not one, that's fine of course. But if not, then your chances of finding the right 2-in-1 pedal would not be nil, but I think they would be slim.

That said, there is this list I just found:

The Best Reverb Pedals With Modulation Or Fuzz/Distortion | Delicious Audio

3. Bill Murray

Bill Murray

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire

I kinda figured that would be the case but have had zero exposure to the idea. I’ll scope out that list though! Thanks for sending

Snaxster likes this.
  4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    There are loads of small brands that can build you a custom fuzz + reverb in one enclosure. I would also suggest an effect order footswitch or toggle so you can change the order of the effects on the fly.

5. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Funny that @rratajski popped in here - I was actually going to suggest something like Fuzzrocious's Blast Furnace, which doesn't have *reverb* with the fuzz but does have a momentary switch for an echo effect, which could be more controllable than a latched-on reverb in some cases. The fuzz is pretty gated/extreme.

rratajski and Lukasonbass like this.
  6. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Rio
    Dr Scientist Bitquest, perhaps?

Lukasonbass likes this.
  7. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2020
    Yeah I think the best choice here would be to have someone build you a single pedal with clones of your preferred fuzz and reverb circuits. I know a guy in Israel that does good work. Very reasonable prices.

Lukasonbass likes this.
  8. Bill Murray

Bill Murray

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    I like this ^

9. Bill Murray

Bill Murray

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Excellent advice

10. Keeley Loomer is a Fuzz/Reverb combo pedal. Not sure how well it does on bass though.

11. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Good suggestion, although it's retired in our line. We do have dedicated fuzz and reverb in our current lineup that can be combined.

Lukasonbass likes this.
  12. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
  13. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Bit Crush instead of Fuzz

Distortion instead of Fuzz

Drive/Lo-fi

WestyBassBob and Lukasonbass like this.
  14. Bill Murray

Bill Murray

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    monsterthompson likes this.
  15. WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    Thanks for sharing. Those so many makers and varieties just finding them can be overwhelming.

16. WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    Isn’t bit crush just a type of compressed fuzz though? That’s how I ended up with mine. I thought I was buying a subtle fuzz pedal but instead I ended up with a some sort of Satan-circuit.

17. WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    The CSIDMAN by Catalinbread is a skipping reverb. When played with subtle effects it can produce a sort of fuzz like tone as well as the reverb tone.

18. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Fuzz is a gain-based form of clipping. Bit crushing is an audio sample rate reduction. I would imagine you could get a bit crusher and fuzz to yield similar sounds at certain settings, but the way they get there is different.

WestyBassBob likes this.
  19. WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    Ok. That explains it. The box I bought was a clone of a (Shoe Pixel?) Fuzz. But then the maker was like “have fun crushing those bits” and I was like wha???

20. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    DFW Metro
    Only pedal off the top of my head that combines any dirty gain with reverb is the EHX Turnip Greens; it's a Soul Food (Klon-style OD) stacked into a Holy Grail, with a loop so you can run things in between the two sides.

That's going to be the problem with a pedal combining fuzz and reverb; you're taking two effects that commonly bookend a pedalboard and putting them in one enclosure.

But, never say never. A quick Google search for "Fuzz Reverb" has revealed Rule 34 of effects pedals: "If it exists, there is a stack of it with something else". Case in point, I give you the Keeley Loomer:
    ghtaifekx1dzh4owtrih.jpg

Like virtually all pedals, you can plug a bass into it. Like most fuzzes, you're gonna lose some low end:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022