1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reverb... is it just for guitar players?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Timothy6480, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Timothy6480

Timothy6480

Jul 13, 2008
    Babylon NY
    So I'm just playing around right now with P Bass though my SWR California Blond (my acoustic guitar amp), and I'm digging the sound of the on board reverb. Does anyone use reverb for bass?:confused:

2. Roadman

Roadman

Mar 26, 2008
    I've used some in recording, but I find it pretty much just gets muddy and lost in the mix in a live situation.
    Of course, rules are made to be broken. If you find something that works, go with it.

3. depending on the song and the mix, I use reverb on my fretless. I use it in varying degrees to acheive different moods, and sometimes don't use it at all.

I never use reverb on my fretted bass.

4. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    tony grey

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    On my own, I'll quiet often use reverb, I have the boss one, works well with bass.

6. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

The EHX Holy Grail sounded pretty nice when I tried it with my fretless in a somewhat quiet setting.

George

7. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I use huge amounts of reverb in my post-rock band for some really giant sounding swells.

8. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    It's rare that I don't use it.

9. +1

10. Etbass

Etbass

Apr 26, 2007
    Cooranbong, NSW
    Reverb is mad on a fretless birdxofxprey!

It's great for some extended techniques, like tapping and harmonics. Depending on how you set it up, it can sound a bit yuck on stage, especially in a room full of hard surfaces - ya get reverb from the building, and it blends all your notes together. Goodbye 16ths.

On the other hand, and this is just what I reckon, if ya keep it on a short delay and very low in the mix, but change the EQ of the actual delay to have a lot more top end, it can sound SICK onstage!

11. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    Like many effects the key is to not overdo it.

12. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    i love reverb on a bass for certain styles. what made me want a reverb pedal was jacos sound with the brian melvin trio. he had a real rich, nice thick reverb on his fretless, sounded absolutely angelic. his playing is not to be overlooked on that album, either..

anyway, i use reverb a lot in certain situations. it works great with trios or quartets, but if youve got a million people onstage, itll only make you sound muddy. for traditional basslines i wouldent use any verb, but for leads or differnt agressive grooves, i'd use it.

in short, its definately worth having a pedal reverb on your board. i have a boss rv-5, reverb and delay in one. the reverb sounds are really not bad (and im not your average boss lover, by any means.) i wouldent use it in the studio, though, i will say that.

13. I love my EBS Dynaverb. I'm very tempted to get Dr. Scientist's Reverberation pedal. I agree it's great for soloing.

14. wow - interesting to read these responses. I would never even attempt to put verb on bass. then again I'm not using it on much these days... every so often on a vocal, or a small room on a snare.

15. Yeah, occaisionaly. Sometimes I'll kick it in at church when doing a high-register solo-thing. The 100-Watt Peavey 1x15" Keyboard amp I use at church has it built in.

16. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
  17. It fits very well with melodic playing. Sounds great with some solo pieces I'm working on.

Just out of curiosity, how does bass sound through the California Blonde?

18. Beat your strings with a dead fish if it sounds good to you and you can make it work. Same goes for reverb.

19. Or beat your dead fish with some strings if it makes you happy....

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021