1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reverb Offer Etiquette...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by phillipkregg, Aug 23, 2019.

1. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I made an offer on Reverb for a bass that I thought was fair - 15% less than the asking price.

It was to a bass shop who regularly offers 15% off many of its instruments.

The offer got completely ignored and has now expired. What would you do?

I like the bass, but from principles of common courtesy, I don't think I will buy from them again.

Whenever I receive an offer on Reverb, I usually get in touch with the buyer within a few hours. If I feel they are low-balling me (less than 65% of the asking price), I'll either decline with a polite "no thank you" or I'll make a counter offer.

The only time I was tempted to just ignore an offer is when it was a ridiculous low-ball. Is 15% less a ridiculous low-ball? I really hope not, because being a seller myself I'd never want to low-ball someone.

Anyway, just ranting I suppose, but if you completely ignore my offer it tells me that you don't really care about having my business. So, you won't have it! I guess everybody's happy now.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    kwdhsk, MCF, fhm555 and 5 others like this.
  2. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I dont know exactly how it works, but maybe they just get a ton of offers and don't have a person that responds to all of them in time. Not sure

3. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    For some reason I wouldn't take it as a personal affront if it were from a business.

brbadg, slugger, higain617 and 22 others like this.
  4. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

?
    No seller is obligated to accept your offer no matter how you formulaically figured out your best offer. There is no reason to feel slighted either as the seller isn’t obligated to respond to your offer either.

I’ve bought at least 30 basses from REVERB. Sometimes I pay the asking price if it’s a good price and other times I make an offer.

Sometimes I make an offer and think there’s no way they’ll bite and the next thing you know I am buying a bass.

Every seller is different...some can wait until the cows come home for their asking price and others are trying to make rent.

Don’t sweat it. Save in watch and try again later.

Just be patient and if the G.A.S. is unbearable then pay the asking price.

I missed out on a pristine Gibson Ripper over a lousy $50 for a price that was a steal to begin with. Kicking myself ever since.

mcnach, brbadg, singlemalt and 16 others like this.
  5. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    Gotta love a happy ending! :D Glad it all worked out.

6. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    Wait til the end of September and send the same offer.

7. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    IMO -15% is lowballing someone. I've never done more than -5%. If someone is selling a $4,000 bass, $3,800 is reasonable. $3,400 is not, to me. Everyone, including businesses, has/have bills to pay. Reverb is not a flea market, it's a major part of many retailers' sales, they just do it to expand their reach to people who otherwise don't know about their shop.

8. James Willie

James Willie Serious Business Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Don't take it personal.
    It is all business.
    If you got the guys contact.
    Why not get in touch with him/her again?
    Always searching for that certain sound.
    Best Chuck Berry song ever.

9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Stop taking it personally. Maybe an employee was sick. Maybe they had 221 offers on the instrument.

It's a business. It's not personal (for them).

10. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    I'd just make the same offer again. Maybe they didn't notice your initial offer or were waiting to see if a better one came along.

Barticus and James Willie like this.
  11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

seriously? you realize that passive-aggressive behavior hurts the passive-aggressive, right? ;)

mcnach, slugger, 2tonic and 8 others like this.
  12. If it's a store that regularly offers 15% off, just wait until the Labor Day sale.

2tonic, Spidey2112, Waltsdog and 2 others like this.
  13. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    -15% is not a lowball offer. It's just business. The seller could often come back with a counter off to split the difference.

A few years back, an ebay seller was asking $299 including shipping for an Epiphone Allen Woody with a best offer option. I offered $199 and he accepted! It came and was in absolute pristine condition, so you just never know unless you try. I remember telling my wife how I "accidentally" bought a bass because I never thought my offer would be accepted.

MCF, Yogi Bear, maxschrek and 7 others like this.
  14. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

If this is the bass of your dreams, plan better and bring more money.

Plan on waiting if not..............here's this.

Waited 15 years to get a correct engine for my 30's sports car.

During this time there was only 5 for sale that I could find, basically one every 3 years.

I'm getting older. I wanted this. Less than $10K for a rebuildable jigsaw puzzle of a core and shipping costs.

Not complaining, I'm happy, your problem far less complicated.

Things they have in common..............first world problems.

We are blessed.

15. James Willie

James Willie Serious Business Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    The whole process of buying, building, playing bass guitars is not easy.
    There are challenges at every level.
    Physical, personal, interpersonal.
    Metaphysical. Spiritual.
    Everybody got to have a dream.

2tonic and Spidey2112 like this.
  16. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I had someone offer me literally half of what I was asking on a pedal that was already priced below standard market value, which I based on the average sold price ($95). I counter offered with $500. I don’t mind people haggling, but sometimes it can get downright offensive. I agree it’s rude to completely ignore an offer and it seems like the longer the sales history and more items they have for sale, the more likely it is to happen. There are multiple corporate accounts that I’ve made offers on that never responded either, even though they have “make an offer” open as an option.

I really miss when TB was a more vibrant marketplace. Reverb just makes me sick at times. It didn’t take long for the whole thing to stagnate in eBay like fashion, complete with Craigslist-ish freakazoid community members.

TrustRod and five7 like this.
  17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    15% on $1,500 bass?
    15% on a $300 bass?

chupacerveza likes this.
  18. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    What would I do?? Not sure what the issue is.

An internet seller didnt respond? Who cares? Could have been sold already. Could have received 5 thousand offers and they are not going to rsponde to everyone.

I would go on with my day. I wouldn't start a post over it or get my panties in a bunch.

19. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Accidents do happen :smug:

Spidey2112 and mojomike001 like this.
  20. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Not to me.

It kills me people take negotiations personally, like they are less of a man is they dont sell something for more rhan its worth.

Who cares what is offered? Say no, or make counter and move on. No big deal.