1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reverb on Bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thawk1979, Jan 17, 2012.

1. thawk1979

thawk1979

Jan 7, 2012
    So, I've never used reverb on bass. Nor can I think of any tracks where reverb is prominent on the bass. Do any use reverb on bass regularly? What pedals do you use?

2. 99 times out of 100- IMO/IME- bass+reverb=mud/loss of note definition/mud. I like a touch of reverb on a fretless lead or solo, & usually(edit): usually no more than a *touch*on EVERYTHING other than the bass. There's usually more than enough naturally-occuring reverb in most rooms.

3. i use boss rv5,mostly on intros,or down-tempo parts of the songs....has the tone knob for clarity,so you can cut through the mix nicely.
    although it has 5-6 different reverbs,i only find the'spring' as usable,mostly because of 'trails' which emerge and it sounds uber cool.

4. yup

but I use a solid touch of RV-5 on my electric upright for a more natural upright sound.

5. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    I dont use it live. But a lot when i practice e.g Bach. I love reverb!

6. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Depends on kind of music and volume. High volume rock band=no reverb. Medium volume ambient/experimental=maybe reverb. And then just a touch unless it's part of a specific sound. Using TC El. Hall of Fame, very nice. Hall setting has some nice low frequencies.

7. thawk1979

thawk1979

Jan 7, 2012
    I play in 2 different funk/ soul groups. So I thought adding a little spring verb would be cool here and there. I was checking one out that had a "Kick Pad" on the where you could make it crash. I though that was cool.

8. personally I think it muddies up the bottom. Though I was listening to a JMJ track (Beck I think, can't remember the name of the tune) that had quite a bit of verb and it was really cool . . .

9. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
  10. I agree with most on here. I think in a live setting, there are limited applications for bass reverb. I could see it being used for more open/spacey type stuff. Or even when it's just bass and vocals or something like that. But certainly in the studio, reverb is fun!

11. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Jun 10, 2010
    Tallahassee
    I use a 112 guitar amp along with my bass amp, sort of like bi-amping.The 112 helps a lot with the roundwound clarity and brightness. A touch of reverb on the high end sounds good, without muddying up the low end....

12. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    I've used it with a phaser for some breakdowns in a reggae-ish band, also use it when I'm just letting notes ring over a clean guitar.

13. I usually use a touch of Zoom room reverb with short decay times just to add some "air" and have a couple of patches with larger spaces or more time but that is more for solos and special moments.

14. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    It sounds great in the bedroom.

15. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Depends on the situation. And get a pedal like the Iron Ether Nimbus which has the filter knob.

16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I played surf music for the past 10 years, and I used reverb on everything that was surf-oriented.

Reverb at a light setting can also fill out the sound a lot on slower numbers.

I'm now playing classic rock and blues, and I tend to use reverb only on numbers which need a bit fuller bass sound with more sustain. Reverb does tend to hold a note and you can use that to advantage if you use it right.

I actually found the inexpensive Behringer DR-100 to be a very decent reverb, and at $30 it was a great buy. Get one and see how you like it.

17. Reverb can sound awesome on bass, in the right applications. Jeff Caxide from Isis used reverb on quite a few tracks. And there have been quite a few TMV tracks where I think I can hear Juan using reverb as well. It really depends on what your role in the band is. If you need to keep in a really tight pocket, it'll probably be too smushy for you. But if you have some melodic space to play around in, it can sound great.

18. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    I like it on slow tempo, spacey type songs. Otherwise, no.