Reverb or Delay?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sethlow3, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Which in your experience is more usable in a live situation? Reverb or delay? I am leaning on going with an EHX Cathedral or SMMWH. I really want to go with one or the other, but can't quite decide which would be more valuable live. The SMMWH has a loop which looks tempting and they're both programmable. I am more than open to other good reverbs too as I am new to effects.

I play a lot of 80s pop, rock, and country for my day job and Jazz, newer rock, and R&B in my spare time. :)

2. moggieman

moggieman

Jan 25, 2009
    doesn't look like there is room for a whole lot of creativity with all of the straight "rock" categories, so i'd say go with reverb. it really does add a lot when everything cuts out and it's just bass.

but if you're looking to toy around and be creative, i'd suggest delay, or something with both delay/reverb.

3. I'd go with delay. I have a cheap Artec delay, and although I don't use it as a delay should with the band, I found some sweet settings a while ago that makes it sound like I have some sort of reverb/rounded tremolo. it makes wonders for my tone when I'm doing simple, "sad" lines.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A delay is more versatile, since you can get reverb from it, where the reverb will not get you any echo.

5. Wyrm74

Wyrm74

Oct 28, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    My MXR Carbon Copy delay can get very close to sounding like reverb, close enough I've never bought a reverb pedal!

6. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Live?

A delay.

7. Again, for live, a good delay is the better choice based on versatility and cut - verb can be achieved through the board.

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I was going to suggest the CC also. Plus you get a delay with your reverb.:D

All reverb is, is a delay anyway. But you don't get the fancy stuff like a reverb pedal will have like plate and hall and the other types of reverb.

9. I'll chime in... I've got a SMMwH and it's pretty incredible. It's crazy how much that thing can do, there's even a passable ring mod sound in there if that trips your trigger. The only downfall is that it's not the most pedalboard friendly pedal.

5sg.

10. That's what I kinda prefer about the two EHX pedals I mentioned. They're programmable and have a lot of settings (like plate on cathedral and loop on the SMMWH). I don't wanna tweek much on stage. From all the delay reccommendations, the EHX SMMWH may be the ticket.

11. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    Delay all the way

12. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Reverb seems good at increasing your muddiness and decreasing your presence.

As a rhythm instrument those two things are counterproductive for my needs in a rock band with a full sonic spectrum.

13. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    For live stuff...you need to go with delay

you can use a slight bit of delay to give a similar effect as reverb, and will cut a lot better than with reverb. 'Verb sounds great on an album, but if can get lost in the mix pretty easy.

14. coldfoot_luke

coldfoot_luke

Jul 4, 2010
    SC
    I use a EHX Memory Man with Hazarai, you can get reverb sounds out of it, you can get some modulation out of it... extremely versatile pedal. I use it for weird noisy sci-fi effects for in between songs and intros sometimes, and can switch back to my dialed in tones in two seconds with its presets functions.

I think the most important/useful thing about it though, is you can set the delays to repeat with a treble filter, so you can keep the delay textures without muddying up your sound too much.

Plus, it has a built in looper. Get yourself one!

15. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Another +1 for delay. I got the Digitech DigiDelay, mainly because it's one of the few ones that I found that also could do a reverse delay, which I actually use a lot.

16. Reverb/Delay is the one effect I've never understood for bass, unless you want to get all spacey, which isn't my thing. Guitar, of course is a different story. I'd leave reverb to FOH and if you want to get crazy, a delay can be fun, I suppose.

17. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Just a hint of reverb can add a bit of thickness to your sound. It's really a nice effect for fretless as well as chorus. The reverb accents the mwah and the chorus helps smooth intonation.

18. Ok, I can see it for fretless where you have more of a midrange emphasis in the tone. I'm usually going for as fat a low end as I can while still getting definition, don't think reverb will help there.

I may have add a fretless to the list of instruments I want to build though. Idea just occurred to me today...

19. The EHX SMMWH looks so tempting. I can see the benefit of a looper and reverse echo. I am just trying to envision how much I'd use it. I've been noticing that it can really fill out the sound and get some cool tones. I just wonder how much I'd use it. I already have a chorus that I use a lot for country, 80s new wave stuff, and to sound more fretless. Maybe combining it with delay would be even better. hmmmmm....

It would really help if I could just try the EHX a gig or two and see.

20. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm not sure how often these come up used...but if you find one at a decent price then you can test it out. And if it's not to your liking then you can flip it. It's almost like a rental program.:) Of course in my case I usually take a slaughter on what I spent after paying shipping it it just sits for weeks on end.:(

I'm not a major fanboy of the Carbon Copy, but the typical used price is around $100. And you can usually flip these fairly easy as the guitar players use this one too. But I do recall watching a video on the SMMWH and thought it was pretty cool. But I knew that I would never use all of the functions to make it worth grabbing.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021