1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reverb pedal conundrum

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mingus Addict, Apr 19, 2009.

1. I am looking to buy a reverb pedal and I'm pretty much nowhere near deciding so I thought I'd ask for some help. First I guess I'll describe how I'll be using it. I recently started playing with a Jane's Addiction tribute band, and I'll be using it with them. I use reverb on the songs "Summertime Rolls" and "Three Days". Right now I'm using an old zoom multi-effect for reverb and chorus and I keep it in a wobo bypass looper. The reverb is most important in the song "Three Days". About 8:15 into the song everything drops out except for the bass which is totally washed out in chorus and reverb. I haven't been able to find a link to this song online yet but hopefully some of you are familiar with the part I'm talking about. I should note that while the zoom isn't cutting it for me on sound quality, I like being able to have presets, and since I use the wobo I can scroll through them mid song.

I will also be using the reverb in an original band. I can already imagine some parts in some of our mellower songs where some subtle reverb will be really nice. I also have a use for it in mind in a newer song we are doing. I will be playing a very fuzzy synthy pattern (octaver and gated fuzz) While I think a reverb with a static setting would work, I think it would be even better to have expression pedal control of the reverb mix. I think I could also use this expression control with the Jane's band in lieu of having a pedal with presets.

I tried getting a good reverb sound with my room mates SMMw/H and I actually got VERY good results. This pedal is definitely on my list, and it has presets, but they are not easy to scroll through with my foot, and there is no expression control. I've been considering the Malekko Spring Chicken because that has an expression input, but I must say I'm turned off by the lack of features. I've also considered the Ehx holy grail which I think I could mod for an expression pedal (check this article out http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/xprnped.htm). The new Hardwire reverb and Line 6 look like they have a lot of cool features but they lack presets or expression and I doubt I could easily mod them. The Dr Scientist is apparently awesome and I think I could add expression control to it or maybe even ask them to mod it for me, but it costs a bit more than I'd like to spend (I'm thinking I'd like to keep it around $150 or less). I also considered buying another multi for reverb and maybe chorus too but most of the units that looked to have the sound quality I want also had really large foot-prints:meh: Finally there is the new Markbass reverb that will be coming out, and that has presets, but who knows how much it will cost or if it will be worth it.

Anyway, hopefully I've given some idea of what I'm looking for.

1. Expression control and/or presets are a must. I know it can probably be only one and I prefer expression control out of the two.
    2. High quality sound, low noise.
    3. I like options and extra controls for things like level
    4. Small footprint is good!
    5. Trying not to spend more than $150 but if I'm convinced it's worth it I'll spend more.

Anyway, help me out:help: What would you do?

2. The only small footprint reverb pedal I know of that has expression control is the Marshall Reflector.

The TC Electronics Nova Reverb is pretty top-notch, and has a ton of options, including the ability to store presets. I don't believe it has expression control.

The old Digitech XP-400 Reverberator had a built-in treadle to control a bunch of parameters, but that's out of production.

I'm sure there are more, that's just off the top of my head

3. I forgot about the Reflector. I must say that on paper that pedal looks just about perfect for my needs. It has some different modes, a level control, and an expression input. My only concern with it is sound quality. I've heard some mixed reviews. Hopefully someone can comment on that. That's definitely a pedal I wish I could try somewhere.

4. thoughts? anyone?:(

5. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    it seems like the spring chicken is your ticket except for the lack of features.

6. I think you're right. One really good sound from the SC is probably better than a bunch of crap sounds from the Reflector. I just really wish I could have some of those cool sounds like modulated or reverse reverb that the Digitech and Line6 offer (octo setting too :bassist: ). I don't necessarily have uses for those sounds anyway though, so... Assuming I did my taxes right I think a Spring Chicken is in my near future.

On a side note, my spell check recognizes Line6 as a correctly spelled word but not reverb. weird

7. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    "Three Days" is one of my favourite songs :bassist:

8. It's so fun to play live! And we try to stay very true to the album version, maybe more so than JA:ninja:

9. perk45

perk45

Feb 2, 2008
    austin, tx
    +1

The bass line in the opening part is probably my favorite ever. So dark.

10. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I touched Eric Avery once...

I have the Boss RV-3 and the Tech 21 R.V.B. Neither has expression input. The RVB has a rumble control which is nice for dialing in/out low end. It sounds very analog. There is also a boost which is good for stepping out. It costs around $150 new, so it's right in your price range. The RV-3 is cool for adding delay to verb. Nice for ambient/post rock type stuff, but I think it is better suited for guitar.

I think the RVB would work for Three Days, especially for the part you've mentioned.

11. Yeah the problem is I definitely need at least two reverb settings through out a show and I'm not too keen on bending down to change settings between songs because often there isn't a lot of time and if I forget before the song in question begins I'm screwed. I think the expression pedal seems like a great solution because different amounts of reverb will sound good from room to room and I will be able to feel it out on the fly. Also, in a song like Summertime Rolls, more reverb sounds good in sparse parts of the song and less sounds better in busy parts. With expression I'll be able to smoothly transition between those sounds throughout a song.