1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

REVERB SCREWED ME. BEWARE TO ANYONE WHO WANTS TO SELL THROUGH THEM.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Shadi, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Shadi

Shadi Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Carbondale, IL
    Back in the early days of reverb.com, I did transaction after transaction through reverb and NEVER had any problems until I had a guy with buyers remorse buy a bass, then immediately had complaints....says the truss rod is not functioning and is demanding a refund.

There was nothing wrong with this bass, and after 200 successful transactions, this guy says that I did not properly describe the bass..

Here's my original bass listing: Fender American Vintage 63 Precision Bass - Rare Seminole Red

Then here's the correspondence:

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 2.36.29 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 2.36.54 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 2.37.11 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 7.19.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 10.35.33 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 11.30.52 AM.png

Mr_Moo, davidprice, getrhythm and 5 others like this.
  2. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. This is every seller's nightmare.

Sadly, Reverb seems to have become new eBay under the latest management. I would be on the phone with my bank if I were you, right now. That's all I'm going to say.

Wishing you the very best of luck.

3. Shadi

Shadi Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Carbondale, IL
    This Chris guy is clueless too...I spoke to him about all the business I did through Chicago Music Exchange when Reverb first started, and this guy said "Reverb was never affiliated with Chicago Music Exchange"...and my response was "Are you new to the company or just an idiot?! David Kalt created Reverb shortly after purchasing the Chicago Music Exchange. Kalt still owns the Chicago Music Exchange, but has hired a CEO for the store so that he could focus his efforts on Reverb."

wintremute, DrMole, dkelley and 5 others like this.
  4. Gee Man

Gee Man Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2016
    W. MA.
    Note to self, do not sell to anyone named Sherman.

5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Mr._Peabody.png
    "Well, if you won't sell to Sherman, then I refuse purchase from you."

6. Shadi

Shadi Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Carbondale, IL
    When David Kalt/Chicago Music Exchange ran it, it was a great place to do business with. Now it's just another fking ebay.

7. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I'm pretty sure that I am missing something. This is the order of events as I see them:

You sold a bass to someone as is without describing a truss rod malfunction or shim in the neck.
    The person that bought the bass wanted to return it because the truss rod is not able to tighten more and the neck has back bow and a shim.
    No one addressed that loosening the truss rod might alleviate the back bow.
    You refused to take it back because you sold it as is.
    Reverb reviewed the documents, and I'm assuming had the guy take it to a guitar tech to adjust the truss rod.
    Reverb sided with the buyer and said you should accept the bass back and issue a refund and that they would cover shipping.

As far as I can tell you lose some time but everyone except reverb ends up back where they started before the sale except reverb is out return shipping and I guess you are out the initial shipping? Is that correct? Or are they covering the initial shipping too?

cosmicevan, Wito, pedroims and 16 others like this.
  8. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    Sorry about all this! I’m really hoping if you must do the refund/return, the bass sees you looking just as it left you! Good luck!

9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Sorry to say it but in the one picture, it looks like the Truss rod nut is really far into the neck heel. That only happens from Abuse. ie; Cranking on the Truss Rod nut under too much pressure.

Daniel Piper and DJ Bebop like this.
  10. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I gave up on ebay many years ago, then gave up on reverb. Part of it was due to the cost of selling.

Then I gave up on shipping guitars. The cost of shipping seemed to double very quickly regardless of who a seller used to ship. After I had a mint D’Angelico guitar totally destroyed by a shipping company, (I am an expert packer and used large quantities of internal padding, appropriate bubble wrap materials, double cartons, international shipping tape, etc., as well as large visible markings regarding handling) the shipping company took absolutely no blame, and returned the shipment to me. On return, the exterior package had clearly visible forklift tire marks across the entire length of the package. After multiple discussions with the shipping company rep, they refused to acknowledge responsibility, and I was left to refund the purchasers money. Irks me to this day, and as a result, I have not shipped a guitar for at least 8 or more years.

I luckily had not had an unethical buyer try to mess me over, but I can certainly relate. I am a very fair person and I always try to do the right thing, not because there are checks and balances in place, but because doing the right thing (even when people are not watching) is the best you can do.

If I sell something now, it is through CL, and it is face to face with full disclosure.

After a second look at the pics of your bass on the Reverb sold listing, it appears in one photo that the truss rod area is very dark, and looks as though the truss rod nut is sunk quite far into the heel. IMO, this should have been disclosed by more than simply a “sold as is” statement.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  11. Shadi

Shadi Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Carbondale, IL
    I've worked on Fender basses for 30 years, and I've seen trussrod nuts go anywhere from hanging out of the neck to being a 1/4" in the neck....that's not a sign of abuse unless the rod has been snapped. The bass had Labella 110s on them!

12. Shadi

Shadi Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Carbondale, IL
    They are covering return shipping...

DJ Bebop likes this.
  13. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

So Anyway, sorry this sale has been such a hassle....and greetings from your sister city of SIU Edwardsville. I have many fond memories of visiting friends at SIU Carbondale.
    I've only sold a few things on Reverb, and they all worked out.
    And thanks for the warning about Sherman.
    I'd be interested to see the final resolution by Reverb.
    Good Luck To You!

14. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    The More you crush the wood under the Truss Rod, the further into the neck it goes. Plain and simple physics.

When I see a Truss Rod nut that deep into the heel, I run the other way.

But You say it's all fine so, no problem, I would just be very upfront with next buyer. Take an even better picture showing how deep the TRN is set in and let the buyer decide.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  15. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    over 50 transactions on Reverb. thankfully, I've avoided Sherman.

16. ejaggers

ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    I'm not taking any side here,
    but there is no way in Hades I would spend $1750 on-line,
    on a bass with no return policy.

17. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    The nut could be further in for MANY reasons. The truss rod could’ve needed some repairs before OP ever had it and may have not been told about it. The repair person may not have had an extended nut to compensate. The slot could’ve been cut long from the factory. Could an instrument have it from abuse as well, of course! But to say it can only happen from abuse like you suggested is wrong.

And just to be that guy, mechanics would better describe the situation than physics.

18. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Time to agree to disagree. Reverb did the right thing. The buyer is convinced the Truss Rod is Maxed out. He should not be forced to keep the bass.
    I too have been working on Fender basses for over 30 years(44). When handled properly, The necks will last a lifetime. There's no such thing as "Maxing" out a Truss Rod.

Expecting a nut on a steel rod to bend a Chunk of Maple is peoples first mistake. Especially considering it is parallel to the wood. You need to move the neck by hand and the turn the truss rod nut to hold it there. If not you will only get away with it until the wood crushes enough for the Nut to bottom out(Run out of threads).

I stand by my evaluation and thanks for your input which I consider absolutely incorrect.

19. Allan Allan

Allan Allan

Mar 25, 2018
    It seems like you're being the difficult one. Welcome to the world of customer service. If you don't want to deal with customers, don't sell stuff.

20. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah

Cool your anecdotal evidence is obviously more correct than mine! :roflmao: