1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

REVERB SCREWED ME. BEWARE TO ANYONE WHO WANTS TO SELL THROUGH THEM.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Shadi, Mar 26, 2020.

1. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I’m amazed anyone buys anything on there “as-is”. That’s a recipe for disaster.

DanBass, jnewmark, JZQuantum and 6 others like this.
  2. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Truss rod maxed plus backbow... Loosen the darn truss rod. Not try to crank it more...

- John

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    So Sherman tanked your sale? :D
    upload_2020-3-26_11-47-58.jpeg

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Some questions:

Why was the case shown in the photo not the one shipped with the bass?

What year was this bass manufactured? Given the amount of finish chequing on the neck, was that a relic neck, or...? I just want to know why there is so much of it, in the first place.

5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    :)

dkelley and DJ Bebop like this.
  6. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    They kinda screwed me as a buyer,more like a seller who knew how to manipulate the system did.
    Never again Im buying anything but strings sight unseen.

Mike Whitfield and DJ Bebop like this.
  7. Shadi

Shadi Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Carbondale, IL
    The case shown in the photo was indeed the one shipped with the bass. It was made in late 2013. It had some finish checking from use, inside and out....it's a lacquered instrument, it's gonna check..

davidprice and DJ Bebop like this.
  8. I AM YELLING

9. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    Looking at the nut on my jaco, a brand new bass and it's a good 1/8" down in the hole. Go figure. That's just how the design is.

That said, if this particular bass were a real 1963 pbass, it wouldn't shock me at all if the rod didn't have any more adjustment left. On a RI, tho even though they replicate the bad of the originals along with the good, if the rod has already had it, then yeah it was probably way overtightened at some point in its life, if not multiple times.

Now, whether the buyer did it and is just secretly trying to back out of it because of his own "oh %%%%" (wouldn't be the first time and wouldn't be the last) or whether the neck was genuinely done for when he got the bass I guess isn't known here for sure in the thread. So I couldn't say one way or the other who's at fault and won't try to.

I extremely rarely ever buy on reverb or ebay, etc., though I did buy my jaco on reverb. But the next bass will be from the dealer directly (he's in Houston, a few hours drive from me) or another dealer nearby, probably in Austin.

It's just too risky unless you have all the paperwork and all the proper guarantees in place to protect both buyer and seller....

L

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    halech54, Mike Whitfield and DJ Bebop like this.
  10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Okay. :cool: So, what was up with Sherman saying that wasn't the case (no pun intended, but that would have been a good one :laugh:)?

Must have seen a lot of use/abuse over the years, particularly since your bass is only seven years old. I've owned a lot of lacquered instruments over the decades, and rarely was there much, if any, chequing on them, even the ones going back to the early 1960s. :confused:

My questions are simply to try and understand some conflinting statements, here, nothing against you in particular, Shadi.

dkelley likes this.
  11. Excuse me but, are we using the right terms here. Isn't a BACK BOW curded by loosening the nut on the truss rod, and a forward or front bow by tightening?

12. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Listing anything nowadays that is not listed as "sold as-is" is a recipe for disaster from a seller's standpoint. People expect small individual sellers to treat them like GC and allow for 45 days return for any given reason or no reason at all.

I haven't sold all that much stuff on Reverb but have been blessed with reasonable buyers. Can't see myself listing anything ever again after the ownership change and some of the horror stories I've heard from sellers.

My $0.02 only...

dkelley, Gfkfloyd, Wisebass and 9 others like this.
  13. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    Yes, and that, BTW, is another reason to add a little suspicion/skepticism to the buyer. An "incurable back bow" if that refers to "negative" relief, is a very luxurious problem to have on any neck, :), much less a Fender design neck.....

I'm exaggerating, of course, but this is a good reason to scratch your head about the report of the problem from the buyer. a) does he even know what type of relief he's talking about and b) an incurable negative relief situation is more or less unheard of unless there's a real problem with the wood on the neck (because you can fix it by loosening the rod in the lion's share of cases).

Many basses have dual action truss rods that allow adjustment the other direction (add relief) if the string tension isn't enough, but this is just not something you run into regularly on Fender style instruments.

So one question is, how did the buyer conclude that the rod was out of adjustment in the tightening direction if he was trying to fix too much relief?

Or is the problem now that the rod can't be loosened anymore?

Anyway, I'm afraid this just raises more questions rather than supplies more answers....

L

14. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Nothing in this thread makes be want to stop buying or selling on Reverb...

15. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I must be missing something. The bass looks to be in great condition. If the truss rod is adjustable and not majorly messed up, I can't see what the issue is. Guess I am not that picky.

16. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

I've used reverb a bit over the last few years, almost all good experiences. The only bad experiences I had, both as a buyer and seller, were on basses with pre existing "issues", or in other words not excellent/very good condition instruments.

The perception of functionality and physical condition can be pretty subjective, especially if someone isnt very informed about technical info. One person's idea of totally fine or trivial problems doesnt always match up with the other persons, regardless of who is correct.

I try to avoid buying or selling basses (especially through reverb) with pre existing "issues" or anything that could be left to subjectivity. Sucks, but that's the way it is. I only try to buy well used stuff through trusted sellers and shops, like CME. Otherwise, I'm not dealing with buying or selling to random people. There is too much left to chance when the buyer or seller could have no idea what they're talking about, when they think there is or isnt a real issue with a bass.

To the OP, not trying to say your bass has any actual issues, but rather sharing my story dealing with reverb when selling basses that aren't virtually pristine.

Mike Whitfield and DJ Bebop like this.
  17. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I disagree. If the buyer isn’t happy with the product that you sold them, there is no reason why you shouldn’t charge them return shipping and be on your way.
    You ARE in customer service if you sell online because regardless of what you believe, the buyer will always win the decision should they decide to dispute it. Either way they are getting their money back. Might as well understand that and offer a 7 day evaluation and return policy.

Sands, DJ Bebop and donahue like this.
  18. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    The whole business model of Reverb now centers around buyer satisfaction.

The buyers have all the power. Whether or not there was anything wrong with the bass, if the buyer cries foul they are getting their money back one way or another.

Ask me how I know this. Reverb will literally take the money out of your bank account and give it back.

saltymonkey, Gfkfloyd, DrMole and 2 others like this.
  19. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 14, 2011
    Sales Development Manager NN Inc. - Polymet, USA manufacturer of fret wire
    Nothing in this thread makes me want to start buying or selling on Reverb.

OldPlucker, dkelley, bmb73 and 7 others like this.
  20. bfields

bfields

Apr 9, 2015
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Independent of the details of this particular case--at the point where you're making 100's of sales, I don't see how you can avoid this kind of thing happening every now and then. Middle men can't possibly afford to arbitrate every dispute with 100% accuracy. Surely everybody who does this for a living factors into their prices the assumption that every now and then a deal is going to go wrong.

Frampton, dkelley, -Asdfgh- and 7 others like this.