1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

REVERB SCREWED ME. BEWARE TO ANYONE WHO WANTS TO SELL THROUGH THEM.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Shadi, Mar 26, 2020.

1. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Ahem...no.

My decade-long-tenure on feebay with 900+ positive feedbacks as a seller - nothing to do with musical instruments BTW - ended when a customer opened up a dispute on day 38 out of the allotted 45 and returned the item in trashed condition without any of the extras that were included with it. Both feebay and PreyPal said "tough luck". Lesson learned. Account closed.

This was a decade ago. I've never regretted my decision to take my business elsewhere.

2. Also to the seller. That nut looked like it was dug in like a tick in his photos.
    If it left him with the "back bow", why didn't he try loosening it?
    I myself never heard of LaBella 1954s 52-110 causing a back bow.
    That's why I wonder A) If their terms are backward or B) Nobody has tried to loosen the nut?

3. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    This is pretty confusing. Tightening the truss screw end all the way trying to eliminate back bow makes zero sense. What is this, stop making sense? I hate the word; but, DUH.:rollno::banghead:

I would sort out the communications as a first step. Encourage the buyer to loosen the truss rod, and suggest to Chris from Reverb that he should get a clue.

That said, the thing that would most concern me as a seller is that the buyer may have mistakenly cranked the truss screw all the way in, having no understanding of how truss rods work, and damaged the instrument. The ignorance is damning.

Aqualung60, Wisebass, bcbckr and 9 others like this.
  4. Ihaveshingles

Ihaveshingles

Dec 24, 2018
    That’s my understanding as well....
    So confused

5. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    The customer is always right even when they aren't.

Wisebass and DJ Bebop like this.
  6. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Well....I feel a bit troubled about this thread as was planning on buying some stuff there.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  7. giphy.gif

8. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Considering the number of people who post on TB who don't understand how a truss rod works, this is a distinct possibility.

Also his complaint of a shim is revealing since anyone with much experience with Fenders of a any period knows this is so common as to be a non-issue.

9. From the pic I saw of the trussrod, I don't see a problem.

I've got a brand new Fender Custom Shop '62 Precision and the truss bolt is in about the same place. Not flush with the neck but a little over 1/8 inch in. And it plays and sounds great.

Maybe the guy just didn't know how to adjust it?

Either way, it's a good looking bass and you shouldn't have trouble selling it elsewhere if it comes back to you.

10. I got out of the 'my story vs. his story' business, after something just like this happened to me. Good luck, I hope some good comes out of this for you. But for me, it's either local CL or I'll just trade it in since we have more than a few stores around here, it's just not worth the aggravation to me.

There are more of these dweebs out there than I ever imagined: Don't want to pay for a new one (or mint), and then pick you to death over stuff they think matters on an instrument that you know is perfectly fine as-is. Life is too short to let myself in for this sort of thing ever again. I only deal online with established businesses where these kinds of things can be handled properly if need be. It's worth it to me.

11. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    this is one of the reasons I avoid selling on sites like this, to many idiots that are nitpicky and either try to do the setups themselves and screw it up or just plane have buyers remorse which sounds like your case. can you imagine what stores like GC go through with people like that who buy the bass take it home mess with it when they don't know what they are doing then return it. GC can eat it up cause they are a major corporation and write it off us little guys don't have that luxury not to mention that you have to pay sales tax,paypal fees,and a fee to the site. I use face book market place and craigslist and have had good luck and avoid all of the fees.

12. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    How does one abuse a bass to cause finish checking?

charlie monroe, DJ Bebop and Templar like this.
  13. Wilmingtonian

Wilmingtonian

Aug 20, 2011
    I really hope you are exaggerating a little and didn't call the guy an idiot to his face (phone face or whatever). That's not gonna help. Call him that here, that's what we are here for...

14. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    As a platform, it would be nice if Reverb would help the seller with the return shipping. I too sell quite a bit on reverb, have sold around 35 basses and guitars on there in last 3 years. I've had 2 returns. One recently. Having to eat all the shipping both ways it what makes me sad. They should bend on that one aspect of the return.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  15. Shadi

Shadi Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Carbondale, IL
    No no no...I didn't say that to his face...

Mike Whitfield and DJ Bebop like this.
  16. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Herndon/Chantilly Va.
    If the bass had a neck shim that is something I'd want to know as a buyer. I'd probably want to know why it was there. I once got a bass that had a shim. Pulled it out, and it seemed fine.

I once sent a Fender Jazz (3 bolt neck with micro-tilt) to a guy that told me the relief was not set right causing the neck heel to compress into the neck pocket ???? Never heard of that but the bass was returned to me. Probably a safe bet to take photos of the neck pocket, etc.

Mike Whitfield and DJ Bebop like this.
  17. Allegrus

Allegrus

Mar 13, 2019
    Ottawa, ON
    I would ask for the buyer's documentation ...

DJ Bebop likes this.
  18. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    rough..

i once bought a bass that arrived with a broken truss rod. seller tried to argue it was "in playing condition" as it could be played and technically made a sound as it was - with 1/2" action at the 12th fret..

so it's rough on both buyers and sellers. good photos and documenting everything before shipping is the only way to really protect yourself, but unfortunately some people are insane and will request a refund regardless.

it's just part of selling guitars and basses unfortunately..

bmb73, Mike Whitfield and DJ Bebop like this.
  19. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

When I had problems with a buyer on reverb, I refused to accept return (for a bogus reason) and the buyer had to provide documentation via a professional tech appraisal that there was something wrong with the bass in order for me to be "forced" to accept the return. When they didnt do provide documentation, the case was closed. This was last year I think, not sure if their policies have changed or if they handle it case by case.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  20. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Freeze/thaw cycles, for one.

DJ Bebop, nFinnyD and DiabolusInMusic like this.