1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reverb sounding E string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassPlayer364, Jun 30, 2016.

1. BassPlayer364

BassPlayer364

Jan 13, 2014
    Hey, I have a 4-string Yamaha RBX170 bass that has a weird sounding E string that I can't get resolved. The rest of the strings sound normal, but the E string sounds like it has some reverb to it. I've tried adjusting the pickup height and bridge to see if that helps but it still sounds the same. Any ideas?

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Be sure there are good witness points at the nut and saddle, and that the string fits properly in the nut and saddle grooves. Adjusting the pickup height is a good idea.

It may also be a bad string.

Tbone76 and LoveThatBass like this.
  3. BassPlayer364

BassPlayer364

Jan 13, 2014
    I wonder if changing from a 105 to 100 E string has anything to do with it? Just a random thought...

4. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I've noticed this with Elixir. Other strings can have this, and it's definitely the string, not the bass. I personally don't like bending the string down over the saddle ("witness point"), because if I have to adjust intonation at any time for whatever matter, it's not indented at any point, and the saddle will tend to agree with the string better if you choose to move it. Plus, this can be helpful if you have a combo top-load/string-thru bridge, and might switch tensions from time to time (witness point would lay at a different location after).

5. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    This will only loosen up the tension, and make the string floppier. It won't have an affect on that chorusey sound.

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Good witness points are recommended otherwise, action, intonation issues and chorusing can result.

If you need to switch from top load to through body the first step would be to use new strings.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    AEVAREX likes this.
  7. AEVAREX

AEVAREX

Jun 10, 2013
    Western Ma.
    Make sure the string is not twisted. #1 Loosen the string untill there is enough slack for the ball end to come free from the bridge.#2 Pinch the string up near the nut and slide down tword the bridge to help remove any twist that may remain.#3 Tighten back up to pitch. If you watch the ball end during step 1 you may see the ball turn as it breaks free. This may not be your issue, could just be a bad string as well. But it's worth the try Good luck.

Hopkins and BassPlayer364 like this.
  8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The chances of any bass intonating properly without benefit of witness points is slim-to-none. I can appreciate not wanting to put unnecessary bends in any string and there's a standard of practice which addresses this.

Stringing, Tuning, Intonation and Witnesses

To the OP: When I hear chorusy, reverb, whatever, I immediately consider the possibility of a twisted string...very common. De-tune slacken the E string and re-tune while allowing the ballend to spin freely until it engages firmly in the tailpiece. Set your witness points (as above). May also want to check your pick-up height as this can make a string act strangely.

Riis

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  9. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    I had a .100 gauge do this when it was brand new. After usage it went away. Are the strings brand new?