1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reverb tank

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lonesomedave, Dec 30, 2012.

1. i don't know whether to put this in amps, as it is an amp question or in Misc. since the amp in question is a guitar amp, so i'll do both...anyway:

so, i have just gotten a new (old) guitar amp. it is a combo amp, an Epiphone Galaxie 25.

the only trouble is, someone took out the reverb tank

i have looked on ebay and they have several for @ 20.00.

the two cords in the amp look fine. red & white RCA type plugs.

my question is, can i just get a new tank and have it plug & play, or is there something else that i will have to do or some other connection to be made?

thanks.

davesignatureII-1.png

2. Hi Dave.

Usually the tanks are plug and play, but I'd make sure that the rest of the reverb circuit was working before buying a new tank.

Don't know about those evilbay $20 offerings, but IMHO on anything with less than 8" springs, anything less than 3 spring unit is a waste of time.
    And money.

Regards
    Sam

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    There are a number of things to consider...input and output impedance, whether the input and/or output is grounded, etc.

Best to do some research before you just buy a cheap tank.

Edit: For starters, here's the schematic. Not much info there but it's transformer fed (like a Fender) so the input impedance is probably low (but I can't guarantee it).

You might be able to get some info from other owners of the amp. Here's the thread where I found the link for the schematic link .

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    BillyB is correct.

Common impedances have been 8 ohms, 250 ohms, and 1k ohms, nominal. most tube type transformer driven I have seen have been 8 ohms, but that's "most".

As for springs, the short ones with 2 or 3 are poor.... the longer ones with two sets of two series springs are much better with a more complex set of reflections. There have been tanks with 3 sets of 2 but likely not back then.....

5. Hi.

I must bow to Your experience even though my personal experience has been the exact opposite.

In retrospect though, it's been almost two decades since I played with reverb tanks of any kind, and we just used the ones we could get our hands on. So perhaps the 1 or 2 spring ones weren't the correct impedance ones after all since compared with 3 spring ones, the sound was really thin and lacking...everything.

All of them were tube driven though, mostly Marshalls and some Fenders.
    SS amps we left for the people who liked 'em ;).

In the late 80's/early 90's the tanks were pretty much abandoned over here AFAIK, "thanks" to the "better" stomp box reverbs.

Regards
    Sam

6. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

The amp is apparently 21" wide. A full sized, 17" tank will fit. 8-10 ohms input impedance will work. I have lots of different tanks. I have 3 spring (sometimes called 6 springs) units that are fairly wimpy and thin sounding, and 2 spring units (sometimes called 4 springs) that are lush and glorious.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021