1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reverb Tanks for Bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Aug 31, 2008.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Was wondering if anyone makes a Reverb Tank for bass?

I used to use one for guitar, and briefly fooled around with it my bass (which didn't sound good, probably because I had a P w/ flats)

I'm interested in using one for fretless playing to fill out my sound a little bit.

Right now I'm going:

Fretless Fender P-Bass>Mesa Boogie 400+>Berg NV 610s

If there are other kinds of reverb for bass, I'd prefer something rackmountable with a footswitch (optional):)

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    If you don't mind pedals, look into the Verbzilla and new Digitech Hardwire verbs.

3. I have a Boss RX-100. I have only had it about a week but I'm already in love with it. I don't think it's rack mountable but it does have a jack for a foot switch. I'd say it's about a half rack space in size.

I know they're used a lot for desk top recording. I recall seeing a thread on a dub site singing its praises.

I'm not sure what sort of sound your after. I'm using mine in a prog(think the Minutemen meets the Groundhogs with a touch of psyche) punk/rock 3 piece where my sound is often more effected than the guitarists ie he plays clean sometimes I rarely do. I get away with it ie. things don't become a wish washy mess because I'm playing through a Peavey Classic 400 in to a Big Ben with an Avatar Neo 2x12.

I play both an early Ibanez Blazer Bass w/a soap bar pickup and a beatle bass copy both strung with TI flats.

I've been using it both for a subtle effect or for an over the top dub reverb feedbacky wash(esp with the beatle bass).

I really think it sounds great. It was exactly what I was looking for.

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    The band I'm in now is: piano, drums, hand percussionists, and vocals (including backups)

I've got a lot of sonic space to cover since this is a very rhythm oriented project and the piano is resting more often than not.

I figured reverb would be a good thing to launch out of.

I'm hesitant about the digitech stuff, all their stuff I've had of theirs in the past has had reliability issues.

I'm actually about to put a digitech chorus pedal in the classifieds because its missing its pedal spring and I have no idea where to get a replacement.:help:

5. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I have a little Heineken keg that I want to make a reverb tank with.

6. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Flats shouldn't make a difference. I use to use a Musicman HD130 head that had a spring reverb that sounded great with a P with flats.

7. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I've used the spring reverb on my Fender Deluxe to great effect with bass, but spring reverb is different than a tank reverb. And its not like I can find a Fender tank, or its reissues, anymore.

A tank reverb is a free floating reverb unit in a box (ala fish tank style) than you would plug your guitar (or bass) into and then plug into your amps input jack.

A P-Bass with flats (I was using LaBella Jamersons) just overloaded it and made it sound like jangly mud.

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I know what one is, if it over loaded it it was most likely the preamp section of the unit being overloaded. Also your amp has a good FX loop in it so it might be cool to try it in the 400+'s loop.
    What one did you tried that didn't work?
    The Guyatone looks neat and isn't as pricy as a lot of the others I've seen. Although it still seems like a lot to me.

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I used a Fender Reverb unit (the one you put on top of the amp) for the late 60s originally that I was borrowing from a guitar playing friend of mine.

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Open up one of those tanks. Guess what's inside? :)

11. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Ooh, ooh, Mr. Kotter!

Horshack.

12. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Its the same spring reverb unit, but its free floating.;)

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Can you describe the free-floating mounting system? Or show me a link to it? Because I was under the impression the spring reverb tank was just bolted to the bottom of the housing -sometimes unbolted and put in an aftermarket padded bag by some users- just like in guitar amps. At least that's how the one I had was built.

14. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'll get a picture of the one in my Fender Deluxe tomorrow when I've got some sunlight. Here is a video of the Fender Reverb Tank I used to use (well one like it)

15. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    What about a Vanamps?

16. prog / punk rock? isn't that a contridiction of terms?