1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reverb

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I have several reverbs on my Boss ME-6B, and I find them fairly useful on bass, more than delay. However, in this effects forum, I rarely see reverbs pedals on the Post Your Pedalboard threads. Do you guys not find it useful?

2. I only use reverb when I'm soloing on fretless (the odd time on fretted). I feel if you use verb in your overall sound it sucks it into oblivion.

3. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I have a reverb pedal on my board. The Old Digitech XP-400, I love it to death, and have no idea what would happen if it ever bit the bullet, 'cause they're hard to come by nowadays.

I'm not sure why no one else has done the expression-pedal on a reverb (at least, not to my knowledge), since I find that to be the most useful function of it. Being able to rock in and out of some massive 'verb is one of my favorite effects, ever.

4. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    a lot of jacos playing wouldent be the same without the reverb..(brian melvin trio comes to mind.)

i use it a lot, the best verb in a pedal i ever heard was the EBS. i have a boss RV-5 thats okay, but i just got a korg AX3000B that has much better reverbs in it than the RV-5.

i think people dont discuss reverb as much as other things cause theres really not that many choices..

5. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Any like bass through a Holy Grail? I've always wanted to try that out.

6. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    On occasions, I use my Clark outboard tube reverb unit. This would be at home or recording only, as (IUD, or insert usual disclaimers) reverb live tends to make music into mush. The denser the mix, the denser the mush. Live, a bit of delay creates a similar effect with less mush and......wait for it...........IUD.

Rev. C

7. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I agree with the live argument, but it can work wonders on recordings.

8. Post-Rock needs it.

Lots of it.

9. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    ehx holy stain has expression pedal input.

10. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    I have an old Alesis Quadraverb in my rack, use it on my fretless and occasionally on the fretted. It's a bit like the old hair gel, Brylcream,... a little dab'a'do'ya!! :D

11. My band does a cover of Blue Jeans Blues by ZZTop, and for really dripping slow songs like that, I LOVE having the reverb on my Holy Stain. But when I play anything faster it gets real muddy and ungooder.

I wouldn't recommend getting a Holy Stain just for the Reverb, however (unless your bent on an expression input). The Holy Grail is a much better pure reverb. The dirts on the Stain suck lows and the pitch shift has a tracking lag, but I got it because it works really well to alter my HOG effect out and occasionally just effect my dry signal. An unusual use for a versatile, if flawed, pedal.

FWIW, I don't have much experience with reverb pedals, I've only tried the aforementioned two and some Multi 'verbs.

12. This. Word for word except for the XP-400 part- although I want one...
    :ninja:

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I used to love reverb on bass. But now I don't like it muddying up my tone so I never use it.

14. The Marshall Reflector 'verb can do that too. And you're right: it totally rules.

15. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Agreed, whole heartedly.

16. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I tried the EHX Holiest Grail for about a minute...

Too echoey, too airy, feedback city USA population: me, *POPS* when switching b/w the presets. I prefer delay for beef, not chorus or verb.
    If I was playing in a quieter band, I miiiiiiight go for just a regular Holy Grail or maaaaaaaybe a chorus, but IMO, it's not needed for my band, especially since I heavily use my RAT and muff.

17. I do. My Dynaverb is on nearly all the time (just a subtle setting).

Yes, but in most studios you´ll have better options than a reverb effect from a pedal.;)

18. the Line6 Verbzilla is the Sweetest Reverb i've ever used (and in fact the ONLY reverb ive ever used) dont really have a use for it tho, so i sold it. however, check out the Octoverb setting, its a polyphonic octave up (like the Micropog) but all reverb-ed out so it sounds like a choir of angels playing behind you. Spankypants did a video demo, its knocking about somewhere. Its got a total of 11 modes, with stereo ins and outs. clean/wet mix and the choice whether to turn trails on or off when the pedal is 'bypassed'

oh yeah i believe i remember Justin Meldal-Johnsen saying that the Holy Grail was his most useless pedal in a thread a while back, because the nature of it is the more effect you have, the less bass you have, or something like that. Again its knocking about somewhere.

19. i've always wanted to get a vintage reverb tank and plug my bass in and see how it sounds. but i haven't made the committment yet.

if i ever do it, i'll let you know how it goes.

20. asherthemachine

asherthemachine

Sep 22, 2006
    its my most used effect besides distortion. have a holy grail + and an RV-2. both superb